• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Forest land fledgling ID help... (1 Viewer)

JKD

United States
On Thursday I found this young one near Silver Salls Oregon in deep forest filled with mixed age firs and lots of hardwoods as well. It was on a minimalist flat platform made of only a few sticks and pine needles 8' out on a fir branch 12' off the ground. No sides or cup shape and you could see light through the base. The adult was apparently out foraging and not at the nest so I have no idea what produced it. The standout features are the yellow head with a gray/white stripe up the center of the crown, a beefy looking beak and big, yellow feet. The bird itself was about fist sized with a head on it. Any perspective on what species it is would be greatly appreciated. Thank any and all in advance!

Attachments

• Crown.png
    Crown.png
    599 KB · Views: 16
  • Profile.png
    Profile.png
    571 KB · Views: 16
  • Under Wing.png
    Under Wing.png
    356.6 KB · Views: 16
A pigeon.
But never mind that, I'm fascinated to hear what you were doing 12 ft up in a fir, 8 ft out from the trunk, and how the welfare of a nesting pair of birds and their offspring featured in that.

Welcome to the forum, JKD. If it's a pigeon in that habitat it should be a Band-tailed Pigeon, though I suppose a Rock Pigeon might be nesting in a wild situation.

Welcome to the forum, JKD. If it's a pigeon in that habitat it should be a Band-tailed Pigeon, though I suppose a Rock Pigeon might be nesting in a wild situation.
I highly doubt it's a Rock Pigeon, around here they won't set foot in a tree, seem to have some sort of aversion to non man-made structures

A pigeon.
But never mind that, I'm fascinated to hear what you were doing 12 ft up in a fir, 8 ft out from the trunk, and how the welfare of a nesting pair of birds and their offspring featured in that.
Most excellent, you are correct, it's a Band-tailed Pigeon. I am a Spotted Owl surveyor and was doing a day hike in an area to sketchy to walk at night. I spied the small platform/nest while scanning trees for owls and then tied my phone to a long stick to reach up high enough to take the pics (thus the poor centering and focus). thank yo for the ID, it's truly appreciated!

Attachments

• STOC Fem.jpg
    STOC Fem.jpg
    431.4 KB · Views: 8
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back