• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fox query (1 Viewer)

IamFof

England
Hi guys
I am fortunate to have a visiting fox.
Earlier this year, I got one shot, on my trailcam, of the local vixen, in the garden. Definately a bit thin, but still with young, according to a ladyup the road whome they visit every night, and eat with the hedgehogs, and her CAT!
Recently I bought a couple of boxes of suet blocks, from a different manufacturer, for the birds. I have very fussy birds, and they refused to touch them, even when that was all on offer.
So I tossed a whole block on the ground, to see if the large birds, rooks, magpies, etc. would eat them. A block lasted a bit under a week.
One morning I noticed that the block I had put out the day before, had disappeared overnight.
Put a new block and camera out.
It is a vixen, looking very healthy. Some of the poses she took are revealing, as they made me realise that they can see IR, hence the flash from the camera. Although she saw the flash, but due to it's duration, could never quite work out where came from.
Question: Any ideas as to how old do you think she might be. I have quite extensive undeveloped wooded areas just down the road, so there should be no shortage of foxes in the area.
TIA
Fof

2021-12-24  14 (small).jpg2021-12-24  20 (small).jpg2021-12-24  30 (small).jpg2021-12-28  09 (small).jpg

Foxes are not daft and will click onto even any small sound from the works of your camera (capacitor recharging between shots for instance).

You said the vixen has already had one litter, this summer, so that makes it likely she is well over one and quite likely over two years old, assuming her to have been a spring birth. Her winter coat looks thick so that's probably right - first winters tend to have a slightly thinner coat.

One shot shows her with tail tip curled forward. This is an indication of subordination, so there may be another fox out of shot.

Cheers

John

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back