• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

French Alps - Bearded Vultures? (1 Viewer)

Landbeach

Saw these three flying together today (had already seen 10-12 other big birds soaring at a greater distance, which we presumed were Golden Eagles). These three then went past together only 50m or so away and I assumed they were Goldies. Only when reviewing the photos just now did I realise they’re more likely Bearded Vultures - but 3 together? Or am I mistaken?
As always - spent more time trying to film on the iPhone than actually watch closely!

Attachments

• IMG_9068.png
    IMG_9068.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 165
  • IMG_7723.png
    IMG_7723.png
    11.5 MB · Views: 177
  • IMG_7724.png
    IMG_7724.png
    9.9 MB · Views: 169
  • IMG_9037.mov
    17.3 MB
First photo is surely Griffon Vulture and I'd presume the rest would be as well.

edit: which is interesting because they don't seem to occur in French Alps at all. The first photo is a screenshot of some app, is that what you wanted to post?

edit2: XC/birdlife have old ranges. On eBird there is plenty of observations for French Alps, so Griffons they are.

Last edited:
First photo is surely Griffon Vulture and I'd presume the rest would be as well.

edit: which is interesting because they don't seem to occur in French Alps at all. The first photo is a screenshot of some app, is that what you wanted to post?

edit2: XC/birdlife have old ranges. On eBird there is plenty of observations for French Alps, so Griffons they are.
Yes first one is my g/f’s photo that she posted on Instagram, which then made me look at mine.

Thanks yes - they do look like griffons!

Pic 2 looks like Cinereous Vulture to me...but not 100% sure...

Edit : the third bird is a Bearded Vulture actually (too long tail for Griffon/Cinereous and wedge shaped) !

Last edited:
In the video the first bird to pass by is a Griffon but the second one looks more like a Cinereous, there seem to be more than usual of the latter this summer, you don’t say where you were exactly but from my place looking towards the Aravis chain of mountains (Manigod, La Clusaz, Col des Aravis area) I could see c20 Griffon with two or three Cinereous and a single Lammergeier last Saturday 26th.

Just to clarify, the Griffon and Cinereous don’t breed here in the northern Alps but increasing numbers of immatures summer each year so are a feature of birding between April and October.

In the video the first bird to pass by is a Griffon but the second one looks more like a Cinereous, there seem to be more than usual of the latter this summer, you don’t say where you were exactly but from my place looking towards the Aravis chain of mountains (Manigod, La Clusaz, Col des Aravis area) I could see c20 Griffon with two or three Cinereous and a single Lammergeier last Saturday 26th.

Just to clarify, the Griffon and Cinereous don’t breed here in the northern Alps but increasing numbers of immatures summer each year so are a feature of birding between April and October.
Thanks for your help. So do different species often travel around together, as for us it had us totally confused looking at our pictures and assuming they would all be the same species! 😀
We’re in Lanslevillard in the Haute Maurienne and the video was taken from near the Vallon refuge at 2200m asl.

Thanks for your help. So do different species often travel around together, as for us it had us totally confused looking at our pictures and assuming they would all be the same species! 😀
We’re in Lanslevillard in the Haute Maurienne and the video was taken from near the Vallon refuge at 2200m asl.
The two species are often seen together, especially at a carcass, where the Lammergeier will often eventually turn up as well. I was not far from your location on 1 August (near Modane) and there were two Cinereous together that morning, they are reported almost daily in the area at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back