• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From the other side of the World (1 Viewer)

birdoo

Italy
I've been looking at posts and reviews for a while. Binomania's video review pushed me over the edge, to get a Fujinon 8x42 HC (an atypical choice, I know).

I then bought a Nikon 7x50 Prostar (used) and was shocked by the difference... both the 8x42 and 7x50 give about the same image (not only field of view, but also optical quality). Yet, there was one factor I had ignored: ergonomics. Finally, I really enjoy picking up the 7x50 more, even though it feels like a dinosaur (almost 1.5kg and cumbersome, compared with 0.8kg and compact design of the Fuji). IF makes framing easy. The Nikon also offers a more "relaxed" viewing: even the shimmer of light water is more subdued than its more excited rendering on the Fuji.

I like camera lenses, especially fixed focal lengths. This is what led me to "ignore" the handling of binoculars. I could not have been more wrong.

BTW, the Nikon offers beautiful, balanced, and clear optics, easily matching those of the Fujinon. Next one? Kowa YF II 6x30, which should be good for handheld. Let's see how it goes. Any advice will be very, very welcome. To the experienced aficionados, my abject apology for the glib summary of how these binoculars perform. At least, my other half has rapidly appropriated the compact Fuji. She detests the size of the Nikon.

Birdoo... what a name! What can I say? I have no valid excuse.

Hi Birdoo (LOL) and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back