• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fuerteventura and Lanzarote RFI (1 Viewer)

James Lowther

Hi all,
I’m thinking about a trip to the Eastern Canaries this winter. My principal targets in approx order of importance are:-

Fuerteventura Chat
Houbara
Blue Tit
Barn Owl
Barbary Partridge
Black-bellied Sandgrouse

I am wondering whether to spend all my time on FV, or stay on LZ but day trip (or overnight) FV (or even do the opposite).

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience of these strategies? Obviously the chat (and sandgrouse?) are only on FV but I get the impression Houbara and barn owl are easier on LZ (although the owl is still v difficult).

Any opinions, or recent gen for these 6 spp much appreciated. I’d particularly appreciate reassurance that Houbara are relatively straightforward on FV!!

Cheers

James

There's an excellent recent trip report by Lieven de T on Cloudbirders for Fuerteventura that should answer some of your questions.
It's a few years since I visited these islands, so I probably don't have much useful to add other than Houbara was pretty well unmissable at Teguise on Lanzarote, the chat is easy within walking distance of the airport on Fuerteventura, and I saw Barn Owl at La Orzola on Lanzarote.

I went to Fuerteventura last Jan/Feb and found Houbara easily enough in the Tindaya area. Had your other targets too with the exception of the Barn Owl. My trip report here if of interest. If I can help with any more info just shout.

Chris

Thanks Jan,
I already saw them in Oman, so only a “lesser” target. But worth considering if my trip is delayed until early spring
James

I went to Fuerteventura last Jan/Feb and found Houbara easily enough in the Tindaya area. Had your other targets too with the exception of the Barn Owl. My trip report here if of interest. If I can help with any more info just shout.

Chris
Thanks Chris,
I will check that out. Seems most, but not all, people see the houbara on fuerteventura with sufficient effort. Barn owl might be slightly easier on lanzarote but possibly not enough to justify a side trip,
James

Hi all,
I’m thinking about a trip to the Eastern Canaries this winter. My principal targets in approx order of importance are:-

Fuerteventura Chat
Houbara
Blue Tit
Barn Owl
Barbary Partridge
Black-bellied Sandgrouse

I am wondering whether to spend all my time on FV, or stay on LZ but day trip (or overnight) FV (or even do the opposite).

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience of these strategies? Obviously the chat (and sandgrouse?) are only on FV but I get the impression Houbara and barn owl are easier on LZ (although the owl is still v difficult).

Any opinions, or recent gen for these 6 spp much appreciated. I’d particularly appreciate reassurance that Houbara are relatively straightforward on FV!!

Cheers

James
Hello,

We had just spent one very fast birding week in the Canaries, effectively only one and a half day in Fuerteventura. Tried two mornings and one evening for the Houbara Bustard in Tindaya plains (September 5 morning and evening, September 6 morning). We saw 1-1 male at every attempt (increasingly better observations). Strategy: slowly driving, stopping the car and searching for movement. The golden hours of the morning and evening were successful (7:30-9:30 AM, 6:00-8:00 PM in September). Check also eBird for recent sightings: we had two along the paved (but potholed) road to El Huesilla viewpoint, and one near Magica Tindaya (farm). The classic site of the chat (Barranco de Rio Cabras) is good - one of the males checked us out perhaps too close directly flying at us from across the barranco landing near our feet- it might have been expecting some mealworms from us ? There in the tamarisks, African Blue Tits were also present (actually feeding on the barranco walls as well). Magica Tindaya site produced 15+ Sandgrouse while scoping for the Houbara. We missed both the partridge (category C there officially though) and the Courser. I attach an image from our last Houbara observation - preening bird after relaxed foraging with drive-away views, an absolutely unbelievable luck.

Attachments

• IMG_8988.JPG
    IMG_8988.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 19
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back