• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fujianvenator prodigiosus gen. et sp. nov. (1 Viewer)

Fred Ruhe

Netherlands
Liming Xu, Min Wanf, Runsheng Chen, Liping Dong, Min Lin, Xing Xu, Jianrong Tang Haiulu You. Guoqu Zhou, Linchang Wang, Wenxing He, Yujuab Li, Chi Zhang & Zhonghe Zhou, 2023

A new avialan theropod from an emerging Jurassic terrestrial fauna

Nature: 1–8. doi:10.1038/s41586-023-06513-7. ISSN 1476-4687.

Abstract

Birds are descended from non-avialan theropod dinosaurs of the Late Jurassic period, but the earliest phase of this evolutionary process remains unclear owing to the exceedingly sparse and spatio-temporally restricted fossil record1,2,3,4,5. Information about the early-diverging species along the avialan line is crucial to understand the evolution of the characteristic bird bauplan, and to reconcile phylogenetic controversies over the origin of birds3,4. Here we describe one of the stratigraphically youngest and geographically southernmost Jurassic avialans, Fujianvenator prodigiosus gen. et sp. nov., from the Tithonian age of China. This specimen exhibits an unusual set of morphological features that are shared with other stem avialans, troodontids and dromaeosaurids, showing the effects of evolutionary mosaicism in deep avialan phylogeny. F. prodigiosus is distinct from all other Mesozoic avialan and non-avialan theropods in having a particularly elongated hindlimb, suggestive of a terrestrial or wading lifestyle—in contrast with other early avialans, which exhibit morphological adaptations to arboreal or aerial environments. During our fieldwork in Zhenghe where F. prodigiosus was found, we discovered a diverse assemblage of vertebrates dominated by aquatic and semi-aquatic species, including teleosts, testudines and choristoderes. Using in situ radioisotopic dating and stratigraphic surveys, we were able to date the fossil-containing horizons in this locality—which we name the Zhenghe Fauna—to 148–150 million years ago. The diversity of the Zhenghe Fauna and its precise chronological framework will provide key insights into terrestrial ecosystems of the Late Jurassic.

Enjoy,

Fred

Systematic palaeontology

Theropod Marsh, 1881
Maniraptora Gauthier, 1986
Avialae Gauthier, 1986
Anchiornithidae Foth et Rauhut, 2017
Fujianvenator prodigiosus gen. et sp. nov.

Holotype. Institute of Vertebrate Paleontology and Paleoanthropology (IVPP) V31985, an articulated and partially complete skeleton preserved on a slab and counter slab

Etymology. ‘Fujian’ (Mandarin), referring to Fujian Province, where the holotype was discovered; ‘venator’, hunter (Latin); ‘prodigiosus’, bizarre (Latin), referring to the odd hindlimb morphology preserved in this species.

Locality and horizon. Near Yangyuan Village, Zhenghe Country, Nanping City, Fujian Province; Upper Jurassic, Nanyuan Formation (Tithonian stage; 149.9–150.2 Ma.

Diagnosis. Fujianvenator differs from all other paravians in the following combination of features (* indicates probable autapomorphy): chevrons located posterior to the fourth caudal vertebra twice longer anteroposteriorly than dorsoventrally; scapula less than half the length of the humerus; sternum ossified; humerus longer than femur; metacarpals I and II that have asymmetric ginglymoid distal articulations with enlarged medial condyles* (the three manual digits of maniraptorans are here denoted as I, II and III, following a previous study12); ungual of manual digit I much larger than that of other digits; manual phalanx II-1 longer than II-2; pubic apron mediolaterally broad and imperforated; short ischium that has a distally located obturator process and a posterior process distally located*; elongated tibia twice as long as the femur*; and metatarsal II mediolaterally wider than other metatarsals.

Fred

Fig. 1 | Morphology, phylogenetic and palaeogeographical position of F. prodigiosus, IVPP V31985. a,b, Photograph (a) and line drawing (b) of the holotype of F. prodigiosus (composite drawing based on both the slab and the counter slab). c, Time-scaled phylogenetic tree showing the position of F. prodigiosus (red star), with a palaeomap of the Late Jurassic (150 Ma) showing the distribution of the known Jurassic avialan fossils. The green and blue stars denote the Yanliao Biota and the Solnhofen Limestones, respectively. See Extended Data Figs. 4 and 5 for complete results of phylogenetic analyses.
Abbreviations in b are as follows: ch, chevron; cv, caudal vertebra; dv, dorsal vertebra; gs, gastralia; lf, left femur; lfi, left fibula; lh, left humerus; li, left ilium; lis, left ischium; lr, left radius; ls, left scapula; lt, left tibia; lu, left ulna; mI to mV, metatarsal I to V; mcI to III, metacarpal I to III; pd, pedal digit; pt, proximal tarsal; pu, pubis; rh, right humerus; ra, radiale; rc, right coracoid; rf, right femur; rfi, right fibula; ri, right ilium; ris, right ischium; rr, right radius; rs, right scapula; rt, right tibia; ru, right ulna; st, sternum; un, ulnare; ?sv, possible sacral vertebra; I-1 to I-2, manual phalanx I-1 and I-2; II-1 to II-3, manual phalanx II-1 to II-3; III-1 to III-4, manual phalanx III-1 to III-4. Scale bars, 20 mm.
1694030066906.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back