• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Full-Time Live Camera For Taking Still Images? (1 Viewer)

sbarnhardt

Jack of a few trades Master of notta!
Opus Editor
United States
I/We have a group of feeders, suet, nyjer, flat feeder with seed mixture, and a tube feeder with the same mix in our side yard that are visible from the kitchen window. They are roughly 8 feet +/- from the window, and we see numerous species there during the day. I want to take good images of what I see to use for ID and possibly upload them to the Gallery. But anything I get from inside doesn't seem to work well. The window screens, I'm guessing, throws the focus off. So, I'd like to see what I can do, if I can do without hocking the farm, to facilitate this likely by setting something up to continuously monitor the feeders with the feed coming to my computer in the house.

Suggestions? Reference works? Etc.?

Some thoughts...

Depending on the camera model, you could manually set the focus to be on the feeders rather than the camera trying to auto focus through the window pane.

If you want still pictures then a trail camera set up by the feeder will take photos when it detects birds, being only short distance away you could run power out to it rather than get through sets of batteries. Swap out the card from the trail cam once a day and see what you have got. You can get trail cams that will let you use Bluetooth/Wi-fi to download the images but these are more expensive and offer less choice.

Get one of the new-fangled smart bird cameras that will detect the bird, snap a picture, send it to your phone and even ID it for you. Bird Buddy

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back