• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garganey or Green-winged Teal (1 Viewer)

I think I see a streaked throat?

I think it's safe to say that some people are going to be strongly biased toward Garganey given the rarity.

I would agree with Andrew. Whilst the strong face pattern would warrant a second (or third) look, the white line/stripe along the side of the tail, small neat bill & the upperwing pattern all point towards GWT. Also, the chin/throat area seems mottled/streaked rather than cleaner white that would be expected for Garganey.

Something for North American birders to keep in mind is that female-type Garganey are much more similar to female-type Blue-winged Teals than Green-winged Teals. If we're looking for BWT in Europe, we have to rule out Garganey much more carefully than Eurasian Teal. Could you confuse the bird under discussion for a Blue-winged Teal? If not, then it probably isn't a Garganey.

The vast majority of opinions (mine included) were that the bird was an odd Green-winged Teal. There are a few people that saw the bird that are still insistent that it was a Garganey. This is probably influence somewhat by the desire to find something rare.

I knew that there would be people here with much more experience with Garganey. Thanks for the input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back