• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Getting Technical. (2 Viewers)

I thought that I would start explaining some of the technicalities of the photography set up I am using to take photos of garden birds while I sit inside with my feet up.
The first useful bit of kit I use is a remote shutter release. I have just bought a new one called the Aodelan Pebble. It works really well and hangs around my neck, so I know where it is all the time.
The camera is then mounted on a tripod about 12 feet away from the perch. The perch is actually a twig or thick branch fastened to another, old tripod with cable ties and with the cut end in a tin can with water in it, which is again fastened to the tripod stem with cable ties.
The camera is zoomed in to fill the frame sufficiently and then focused manually on the branch. I have found that it is important to do it in this order, as altering the zoom can also alter the focussing.
The next, important “secret” is the use of an artificial background. I have experimented with painted boards and dyed cloth before settling on a poster type print of foliage taken completely out of focus. It is important to use matt paper for these and I prefer A1 size posters on outdoor paper. They are not cheap to buy, but 5 of them give a good variety of backgrounds.
The background print is then attached to a board with bulldog clips and hung from a lighting stand about 5 feet behind the perch. The stand has to be pegged down if there is the possibility of any wind, as it blows over easily.
There is one more, absolutely vital element to my system. That is flash. All my photos are taken with flash. I am not going to explain it all in this post, as it needs a post of its own, as it is all a bit complicated.
Until then, here are two photos taken this afternoon with this set up as I lie out in my caravan, looking out onto the decking.
571FEBF8-9D61-4CBA-BFA3-989A3215B7BA.jpeg80660D47-419B-43F2-87E4-150A0C71121B.jpeg

Those shots are really sharp Denny, what camera/lens setup do you use?
It’s a fairly basic set up really. Canon 60D (10 years old) and Canon 70-300 zoom lens (again, about 10 years old). Zoom is set at about 160mm for this shot. I think the sweet spot for sharpness of this lens is about F11.
There is some basic sharpening in the iPad photo app, but as I don’t possess a computer that supports Photoshop, that’s about all I can do. I have thought about buying Photoshop Elements for the iPad, but resent paying a monthly subscription for some basic editing.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back