• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gitzo Traveler GT2545T tripod - Not just for traveling? (1 Viewer)

birdcat

United States
Ok, am I crazy or is the Gitzo GT2545T aka GT2545TUS actually a really good tripod? Sure, the legs can fold back, which is handy. BUT... it seems that the tripod is actually better at dampening than the "beefier" Gitzo GT2542:

I have not personally made the above comparison, but I did compare to an RRS Ascend tripod, and the Gitzo GT2545T was clearly better at dampening my Swarovski ATS 65 when mounted with Arca foot directly to a Swarovski CTH (Gitzo GHF2W) head.

What I also found with the GT2545T is that dampening is noticeably improved when removing the center column and using the short column insert.

I was originally against removing the standard column, because my Gitzo bubble level (GLEVEL2) is attached there.

BUT, I recently ordered the Kirk tripod head quick release system (the small version: TQR-3S) to make my life easier attaching the CTH head to the GT2545T tripod. Turns out the TQR-3S now includes a bubble level as part of the design! So, while I can't fold the legs back over itself to reduce the length with the Kirk quick release plate, I can remove the center column, and have a quick release for the tripod head and bubble level. All in a package that weighs less than 3lb (2lb 15oz).

I know I have seen others praise this tripod, but wanted to add my positive experience and get people to think about this as a legitimate tripod option, especially considering the price compared to the Gitzo Mountaineer (GT2542) tripods. I would be interested to hear if anyone has compared the GT2545T to other tripods.

Attachments

• tripod.jpg
    tripod.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 90
I have the 100th Anniversary edition, which is essentially the same thing (B&H Photo in New York was clearing it out at half price and I couldn't resist). The Gitzo Travelers punch well above their weight if you get the right head. My GT90TT is as stable with a gimbal head as my 2532 Mountaineer with a Manfrotto 128RC pan-tilt head for use with a Meopta Meostar S2 82 HD+ spotting scope.

I have this tripod and am very happy with it. I was using it over the weekend in very windy conditions and it was really stable with an ATX85. The best tripod I've ever owned: remarkably light and compact but as stable as much heavier tripods I've used.

Thank you both, good to hear what other options work well with this tripod. With the center column removed on the GT2545 and the CTH head with the ATS 20-60x65 I want to say I am getting sub 1 second dampening times at full leg extension. With the column maybe a hair over a second. These are just a general idea, as many other factors are in play.

I noticed a slight difference with an ATX 65 on the GT2545 tripod, which has made me shy away from going for an ATX 85 but I think with the center column removed I might have to try again. I really like the tripod size and would rather stay with a smaller scope than move to a bigger tripod.

Just out of curiosity, what are you using to measure that?
The measurement was meant to be relative, but to answer your question: when the GT2545 is configured with a short/no center column, full leg extension, leg stance expanded so that leg locks do not move, all leg locks and center extension lock firmly tightened, CTH head (unlocked), ATS 20-60x65 with arca foot, no adapter plate, and on hardwood floor I no longer detect vibrations at the eyepiece at 60x power when tapping on the leg of the tripod firmly after a little less than a second (~.9 sec) measured with a stopwatch (iPhone). Clearly not scientific, just more of a general observation.

Last edited:
The Gitzo 2545T is a good model and has more features compared with the GT2542 model.
I'm just going to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

The Gitzo 2545T is a good model and has more features compared with the GT2542 model. My friend was using both models, and he told me that the 2545T model is much better and has more features, plus the prices for these models are not defined by high value. So if you are choosing between those two models, I recommend you to buy the 2545T model. Also, I can suggest you look at this useful article about different tripod models 9 Best GoPro Tripods (Ultimate Review List) - Ballachy. Have good luck!

Does anyone know if the plate, on the centre column of the GT2545T, can be replaced with one of a larger diameter? Or maybe even replaced with a complete centre column of the same column diameter, but with a larger plate (possibly from A. N. Other manufacturer).

I like the specs of this tripod, with it's relatively chunky fourth leg - and I don't need to fold the legs over the head - but the plate, or disc is only 42mm in diameter and my head has a 50mm base diameter. Maybe the mis-match doesn't matter (Kowa 773 on a GH1720QR)... if so, please reassure me that I needn't worry. Thanks.

I just got the GH1720QR head today and I must say I really like it's simplicity/functionality, light weight, and good looks - and stories of it being impossible to lock are unfounded.

Does anyone know if the plate, on the centre column of the GT2545T, can be replaced with one of a larger diameter? Or maybe even replaced with a complete centre column of the same column diameter, but with a larger plate (possibly from A. N. Other manufacturer).

I like the specs of this tripod, with it's relatively chunky fourth leg - and I don't need to fold the legs over the head - but the plate, or disc is only 42mm in diameter and my head has a 50mm base diameter. Maybe the mis-match doesn't matter (Kowa 773 on a GH1720QR)... if so, please reassure me that I needn't worry. Thanks.

I just got the GH1720QR head today and I must say I really like it's simplicity/functionality, light weight, and good looks - and stories of it being impossible to lock are unfounded.
I don't find the mismatch in diameter between the plate and the base of the head to be a problem. I've attached a picture showing mine with an ATX85 attached.

Attachments

• Tripod 2.jpg
    Tripod 2.jpg
    417.9 KB · Views: 54

I think the GH1720QR head was originally a series 1 head, which matches the series 1 mountaineer tripod with a 50mm base plate. But as Andrew mentioned, i don’t think it makes a huge difference. I have the GHF2W, originally on a Benro tripod with a wider base plate, but i’ve since moved to a Gitzo GT2542 which matches the head now.

I’m guessing that Gitzo intended the traveller series of tripods to match their ball heads, compact and lightweight. It’s a shame they don’t make a more compact 2 way head for this series of tripods and compact spotting scopes.

I don't find the mismatch in diameter between the plate and the base of the head to be a problem. I've attached a picture showing mine with an ATX85 attached.

Thanks for that, Andrew, and the picture. It still looks a little odd to me (I am somewhat OCD), but good to know it doesn't affect the work of an 85mm scope. Reassuring enough, that I've just bought a mint used GT2545T. ;)

You could try Gitzospares.com, I remember replacing the upper disc on one of my Mountaineer tripods with one that had an anti-rotation screw (otherwise panning the scope kept unscrewing the head...).

I have been using Gitzo tripods for decades but their engineering and quality control and customer service has gone downhill. The last Gitzo 3- series tripod arrived with the lever for locking the leg tilt angle broken off in the box. The piece as made from pot metal and so a bad bit of engineering.

I now use Feisol tripods and one Robus tripod. The Feisol CT-3472 as my primary tripod and with the Feisol center column and quick level options it works well for photographing subjects high up in trees and the quick level is great for landscapes and for panning (stills or video).

The Feisol CT-3441T is a terrific travel tripod that collapses down to 18.9 inches and has a working height of 57 inches and weighs on 2.63 lbs and comes with an excellent carry case (all I got with my RRS and Gitzo tripods was a cardboard box). My wife has been using it with excellent results on our travels.

The Robus 5570 was bought for shooting video as it has a spider top plate that can be removed in seconds and replaced with a 75mm bowl for use with a video head. I am using the Sachtler Ace XL fluid video head with the Robus. The Robus also comes with an excellent carry case that extends to hold the legs with the Sachtler head attached.

It's been a few months, but I'll just add to the original post about the GT2545T and vibration damping. If anyone wants the short bit, see the last paragraph and sentence. ;)

I've been trying a few tripods (and scopes) in the last few weeks and - having attempted to understand what exactly is meant by stability and rigidity, and vibration resistance - came to some surprising (to me) conclusions.

The tripods I have been testing - for rigidity, vibration resistance, weight, ergonomics etc - have the following leg diameters:
  • Manfrotto MT055CXPRO3 - 29.2, 24.8, 20.4 - 3 sections with flip locks
  • Gitzo GT2545T - 29, 25.3, 21.7, 18.2 - 4 sections with twist locks.

The most 'rigid' is the Manfrotto. I cannot induce flex in the legs unless I use brute force - it is rock solid under the most extreme downward force... me.
But the tripod that is most resistant to vibrations (low in amplitude and less than 0.5 seconds duration, using the unscientific tap test) is the Gitzo, albeit marginally, in spite of its skinny lower legs and extra joints.

(I also tried a Manfrotto 290 xtra carbon, with 3-sections to the legs, roughly equal to the lower three sections of my Gitzo and it failed the vibration test miserably (more than 2 seconds and with a high amplitude). In theory you might have expected it to be about the same as the Gitzo.)

As for diameter and bend in carbon legs, which is talked about a lot on these pages. There is some flex 'through', but not 'in' the legs of the Gitzo; when pressed with hard downward force (more than it would ever be exposed to) the legs appear to bend inwards slightly, but it's actually at the joints where the apparent flexing occurs, not the legs. Ever tried bending 18.2mm x 400mm length of Gitzo carbon tubing? Nigh on impossible.

My point is this. Using the common measures of stability the Manfrotto must be more 'stable' than the Gitzo, because it's demonstrably less flexible under force, has bigger diameter legs, fewer of them, and fewer joints. Whereas in reality it's no better at reducing vibrations - surely a more important measure of the suitability of a tripod for a telescope - than the apparently 'flimsier' Gitzo.

It begs the question, what do we really mean by stability, how do we measure it, and who cares, as long as the tripod is highly resistant to vibration?

As an aside, a review of the Manfrotto MT055CXPRO3 by the author of The Center Column concluded that he could find no difference between flip locks and twist locks when it comes to rigidity. Another myth that we read a lot about, but should take with a pinch of salt. Personal preference.

The Gitzo GT2545 is a great tripod - performing well above its weight (literally and metaphorically) - I just wish it had a higher column-down height (131cm from memory), which is why I like the 3-section Manfrotto, at 140cm. Apples and oranges of course.

If anyone is still reading... apologies for sending you to sleep! 😆

Users who are viewing this thread

Back