• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gizmo to hold binoculars without hands? ( while dealing with rotator cuff injury restrictions) (2 Viewers)

Tucson Birder

United States
Hi folks- not sure if this is the best area for this but I couldn't find a better - feel free to redirect me to a better section of the forum.

I am suffering from a torn rotator cuff and likely will likely not be able to hold up my binoculars for a couple months ... This deprivation is a form of torture given my near-daily birding habit, as well as a concern as I have a part time gig guiding with my next tours scheduled for October/November.

In the meantime, my doctor suggested I might try a gizmo to hold up the binoculars without hands. One example I found combines a chest harness with little legs somewhat like a a tripod (but just two legs). Not ideal, probably best for stationary birding I think.
https://www.fieldopticsresearch.com/shop/Binocular-Supports/p/BinoPOD-Harness-Pack-System-Black.htm

I think there was another one that was more of a platform but I can't find it now.

Has anyone used something like this? Thanks in advance- Sharon

A Finnstick might suit your situation just fine.
You should be able to hold on to it without having to elevate your arm(s) (hopefully your problem is only one-sided) at the shoulder joint.

For example see here

The search function will show more examples.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back