• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Goa site recommendations (1 Viewer)

Larry Sweetland

Formerly 'Larry Wheatland'
Hi, it looks like I'm going to be in Goa next Feb with limited birding time available. Hoping to get a chance to hit a couple of sites that would optimise my chances of seeing some birds I've missed on previous trips to India.

My main targets look to be: Sri Lanka Frogmouth, Spot-bellied Eagle-Owl, Jungle Nightjar, Nilgiri Woodpigeon, Legge's Hawk-Eagle, Indian Spotted Eagle, White-naped Woodpecker, and Grey-headed Bulbul (though I've doubtless overlooked some possibilities).

A quick look at ebird (I'm not very good at searching it) points to Backwoods camp in Molem NP being good for some of these (?)

Any advice on logistics of getting there, or a similar place, or other recommended sites greatly appreciated. (Maybe a link to your trip report if you've been there and done one 😊). I normally bird independently but appreciate that a guide might be especially handy for the nocturnals on a flying visit like this.

Thanks for any info.

I see 😂

Anyone know how to get to Aradi Socorro plateau, and how to access the area, and where to look for birds there?

I see the dot on the ebird map with all the bar charts, but can't work out how to get other information that would normally be possible with a trip report, like "we took the the trail that heads east of the bakery past the barking dogs" or something like that. How on earth do people workout where to go from ebird data?

Last edited:
Hi, it looks like I'm going to be in Goa next Feb with limited birding time available. Hoping to get a chance to hit a couple of sites that would optimise my chances of seeing some birds I've missed on previous trips to India.

My main targets look to be: Sri Lanka Frogmouth, Spot-bellied Eagle-Owl, Jungle Nightjar, Nilgiri Woodpigeon, Legge's Hawk-Eagle, Indian Spotted Eagle, White-naped Woodpecker, and Grey-headed Bulbul (though I've doubtless overlooked some possibilities).

A quick look at ebird (I'm not very good at searching it) points to Backwoods camp in Molem NP being good for some of these (?)

Any advice on logistics of getting there, or a similar place, or other recommended sites greatly appreciated. (Maybe a link to your trip report if you've been there and done one 😊). I normally bird independently but appreciate that a guide might be especially handy for the nocturnals on a flying visit like this.

Thanks for any info.
Larry,
the backwoods guys will pick you up, good for the Frogmouth, Nightjar and Bulbul.

Not sure I know anyone who's got SBEO in Goa, much easier in Kerala from what I hear. I've had ISE from the Beira Mar hotel with it's extensive views of the paddy fields.

Feb isn't the optimal month for Goa as you probably know.

Larry,
the backwoods guys will pick you up, good for the Frogmouth, Nightjar and Bulbul.

Not sure I know anyone who's got SBEO in Goa, much easier in Kerala from what I hear. I've had ISE from the Beira Mar hotel with it's extensive views of the paddy fields.

Feb isn't the optimal month for Goa as you probably know.
Thanks Andy.

I've now realised a couple more birds I'm after are found in Goa in winter, Grey-necked Bunting and Mongolian Short-toed Lark, hence my interest in the Aradi Socorro plateau site, which is quite near the area we'll prob be staying in.

I've sent off for the Gosney North Goa site guide, so hopefully that'll help with planning where to go, though it's presumably a bit out of date at 2010

Thanks Andy.

I've now realised a couple more birds I'm after are found in Goa in winter, Grey-necked Bunting and Mongolian Short-toed Lark, hence my interest in the Aradi Socorro plateau site, which is quite near the area we'll prob be staying in.

I've sent off for the Gosney North Goa site guide, so hopefully that'll help with planning where to go, though it's presumably a bit out of date at 2010
The Bunting gets seen in the dry paddies around Baga, behind the Beira Mar hotel, the Lark is probably there too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back