• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Golden plovers - Ebro delta, this morning (1 Viewer)

Thibaud

Hi everybody,

I was out in the Ebro Delta (the famous wetlands south of Barcelona) this morning. At some point I found these two plovers in the middle of a flock of lapwings.
There has been a Pacific Golden Plover reported from the area for a while, and while I had no specific info (the last sighting I know of was ten days ago), I wonder if this was it.
The two birds were resting side by side, and the one on the right did appear notably smaller and slimmer, with a fairly stout bill. It did also appear to have longish tibia, and an elongated rear-end?
After about an hour, they took off with the flock of lapwings, and I got a bunch of crappy flight photos, that do seem a show a smaller bird with slimmer wings and dusky axillaries. There's a suggestion that the toes project beyond the tail tip (especially the one where he flew directly overhead), but the photos are too bad to be sure.

So, Pacific, or wishful thinking?

As always, many thanks for the expert opinions.

T

Attachments

• IMG_5314.jpg
    IMG_5314.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 94
  • IMG_5326.jpg
    IMG_5326.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 97
  • IMG_5329.jpg
    IMG_5329.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 91
  • IMG_5332.jpg
    IMG_5332.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_5343.jpg
    IMG_5343.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 86
  • IMG_5345.jpg
    IMG_5345.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 86
  • IMG_5362.jpg
    IMG_5362.jpg
    346.9 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_5363.jpg
    IMG_5363.jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_5373.jpg
    IMG_5373.jpg
    535.8 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_5374.jpg
    IMG_5374.jpg
    1,000.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_5377.jpg
    IMG_5377.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 96
i think your correct

pic 1 the left bird has a slimmer slender bill ,long tail with wings equal, the right hand bird has a stockier bill and wing tips protrude the tail

inflight the grey underwing is very apparent

ive only ever seen one pacific golden plover so i may be wrong! usually are

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back