• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good Willow Warbler numbers. (1 Viewer)

greer3

United Kingdom
I recall reading a thread where there was talk of a decline in Willow Warblers in parts of the UK. In Cumbria there appears to be as many as ever. I covered a relatively small patch yesterday and counted 17; every several yards another would be singing. A different larger patch often hosts around 50 Willow Warblers.
There may be a decline nationally but not around here apparently.

I wonder if the numbers we see are highly dependent on the success of the previous year's nesting season? For example, some years I don't see or hear many Chiffchaffs, but then a couple of years later they're seemingly everywhere, and then the next year they seem to be fewer again.

With Willow Warblers it feels like my observations of them are quite steady year in year out, although this year it does seem like there are many more around as I hear them in multiple places while out walking whereas normally I might only hear one or two in isolated spots.

The BTO reports regional differences for Willow Warbler, with declines in England and Wales, and increases in Northern Ireland and Scotland. However it also says "the most recent 5-year BBS trends suggest that declines are now occurring in Northern Ireland and that the previously increasing trend in Scotland may now have levelled off". It states that there has also been a decline in numbers in Europe since 1980.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back