• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Goose, West Sussex, UK (1 Viewer)

rylirk

United Kingdom
Saw this at Arundel WWT today (from the Ramsar hide, not in the zoo part...) and I cannot for the life of me think what this could be if not a cackling goose? I have many photos of it and a recording of it calling... interested in your thoughts! It flew in about 3pm calling furiously, and was mostly on its own although it did react to Canada geese passing it a couple of times.

Attachments

• P1370369.JPG
    P1370369.JPG
    9.2 MB · Views: 27
  • P1370424.JPG
    P1370424.JPG
    9.4 MB · Views: 27
  • P1370427.JPG
    P1370427.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 27
I didn't think they kept Cacklings at WWT? I'm sure it probably is just one of their birds if they do keep them, but I was just a little confused by the lack of ring and the fact a regular in the hide had never seen it before either.

Pretty sure it's Small (Ridgway's) Cackling Goose (Branta Hutchinsii Minima). There has been a pair (or more on occasion) arriving there every spring for a few years now. I don't think they've kept Cackling for at least 15 years (if ever), presumably came from another private collection but who knows why anyone would want to keep them, they're like a noisy ugly Canada Goose. 😄

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back