• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

GPO Silence (1 Viewer)

lmans66

Out Birding....
Supporter
United States
It seems that since I was last in the market for a pair of Binoculars (30 or 32), both the GPO and Maven were in the hunt but as of late, I haven't seen much press or member forum topics, (good or bad) come out about these two brands. I am not sure how COVID has impacted them but perhaps quite a bit.

Not that these two brands are not solid brands, especially the higher end GPO's.... but the Mavens and the GPO ED or Spectra glass was surely in a league where the competition is stiff ($500 and sub). Any updates of either of these brands? jim

Not sure about GPO although their bins are for sale everywhere these days and not at closeout prices. That indicates to me they are doing well. Maven has been in the business for quite awhile now and since they market more towards hunters (who buy lots of optics) they are in good shape. I have a friend in the optics business and he tells me sales are at record levels due to the pandemic. Similar to many outdoor products. People are recreating outside and buying up all the toys. Yes Styrka went out of business. They were owned by Celestron and their marketing and bins were not very good.

Upland:
Have you purchased anything GPO or Maven ? And how would you know how their sales are going ?
These are still young companies selling clone optics.

Jerry

Upland:
Have you purchased anything GPO or Maven ? And how would you know how their sales are going ?
These are still young companies selling clone optics.

Jerry
Jerry, Upland already explained that in his opinion GPO's sustained retail prices demonstrates that they are not having to discount to get sales. This sounds reasonable and don't forget GPO is run in the USA by Mike Jenson, formerly boss of Zeiss sports optics USA and was established in Europe by Richard Schmidt formerly head of Zeiss sports optics worldwide. These are experienced guys with a long-term business view and not out to try to make a quick buck.

Lee

Lee:
I am fully aware of all of that. I am just posting those facts about these new companies for those watching.

Jerry

The optics industry is booming during the pandemic just like all outdoor equipment companies. Not exactly a secret

In the two years we have GPO as a brand they are currently by far nr 1 in sales compared to the other sub brands.
A 32 in the HD range and some pocket models would be nice.

Jan

In the two years we have GPO as a brand they are currently by far nr 1 in sales compared to the other sub brands.
A 32 in the HD range and some pocket models would be nice.

Jan
Their binos have a fit and finish that is amazing and which makes them a pleasure to handle. Optically they are of a high standard too.

Lee

Hi. I'm new here and need to purchase a new/secondhand pair of binoculars. I started this quest with a budget of around £400, (sterling). Unfortunately, having tried and tested everything our local shops/bird reserve stock. I have come to the opinion that the Swarovski EL 10x42 was the top of the bunch. This is a personal opinion and I can't get the image quality off my mind, hence the budget increase below. I fully understand that my budget will only cater for second hand Swaro's. However, I would be interested to hear your views on and about a comparison between Swarovski EL 10x42 against the GPO Passion HD 10x42. I have read many reviews on both and the GPO appear on paper to have solid potential. I will add that I have not tested the GPO as of yet, but a new pair of GPO's can be bought for less than a second hand pair of Swaro's
Is there an alternative I've missed, other than the Vortex Razor UHD 10x42, which is over my budget?
Absolute top budget £1200.

My personal opinion (I own quite a few ELs and the GPO Passion in size 8x42): if you can get your hand on a used EL 10x42 in good condition and within your budget, that would be my choice.

Canip

My personal opinion (I own quite a few ELs and the GPO Passion in size 8x42): if you can get your hand on a used EL 10x42 in good condition and within your budget, that would be my choice.

Canip
Thanks for the quick response. Your experience of both pairs is invaluable.
Notch one point to Swaro's. :)

Hi. I'm new here and need to purchase a new/secondhand pair of binoculars. I started this quest with a budget of around £400, (sterling). Unfortunately, having tried and tested everything our local shops/bird reserve stock. I have come to the opinion that the Swarovski EL 10x42 was the top of the bunch. This is a personal opinion and I can't get the image quality off my mind, hence the budget increase below. I fully understand that my budget will only cater for second hand Swaro's. However, I would be interested to hear your views on and about a comparison between Swarovski EL 10x42 against the GPO Passion HD 10x42. I have read many reviews on both and the GPO appear on paper to have solid potential. I will add that I have not tested the GPO as of yet, but a new pair of GPO's can be bought for less than a second hand pair of Swaro's
Is there an alternative I've missed, other than the Vortex Razor UHD 10x42, which is over my budget?
Absolute top budget £1200.
Hi NB and welcome to BirdForum.

There are two versions of the ELSV. The ones with the close distance of 1.7 meters and the (budget) ones with the close range of above 3 meters.
If observing within the first range is a "must" be aware to get your hands on the older model.
Within your budget both are easy to find.
IMHO it is not fair to GPO to compare it with Swarovski EL/Zeiss SF/ Leica Nocti and Ultra.
You might compare the Passion HD with the Trinovid and the Conquest though.

Jan

Hi NB and welcome to BirdForum.

There are two versions of the ELSV. The ones with the close distance of 1.7 meters and the (budget) ones with the close range of above 3 meters.
If observing within the first range is a "must" be aware to get your hands on the older model.
Within your budget both are easy to find.
IMHO it is not fair to GPO to compare it with Swarovski EL/Zeiss SF/ Leica Nocti and Ultra.
You might compare the Passion HD with the Trinovid and the Conquest though.

Jan
Thank you Jan. Once again, valuable experienced opinion.

While I realize that all manufacturers are currently dealing with seemingly never-ending supply chain issues, does anyone know if GPO is planning on any new releases to their Passion HD line?

While I realize that all manufacturers are currently dealing with seemingly never-ending supply chain issues, does anyone know if GPO is planning on any new releases to their Passion HD line?
Nothing planned as far as new PASSION HD models for the upcoming year.

I recently purchased the GPO Passion HD 10 x 42 and I can tell you the fit and finish and build quality is very much equal to the Zeiss Conquest! Also the best eye cup design I have seen. They just ozz quality.
I have to agree with your statement, I looked through both Passion HD 10x42 vs Swaro 8x42 and the GPO has better contrast and sharpness. Really nice glass and finish. Compared to the Zeiss Conquest the GPO offers a modern look design and a lockable diopter. Not to forget the price difference😀

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back