• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

GPO Spectra 8x42 Review (1 Viewer)

I never did get a response back.... so I returned the GPO's....In general (I had the Passion's) I agree with this overall posting in that they really are not that bad of a binocular. I would check out the pair you get and make sure the focus wheel has no play, the bridge opens/closes well..... But the binocular has a Zeiss feel to it making it ergonomically very comfy. And they have the box/display down pat too. They know how to market this. But in all fairness, in my quest for the perfect 8x32 for my needs, I also returned a CL, Maven, and Conquest and turned down the Kowa Genesis and Nikon Monarch (after viewing the latter two in the store).

For a travel pair in the 32mm range, I would go for the GPO.

Last edited:
Are you finding the Spectra to have that same play? Is that inherent within the GPO design?

My sample of Spectra is almost free of focus play. There could be detected some level of play, 1 degree or less, in some positions, but hardly. My Conquest HD 10x32 (10 years old) shows similar level: almost no focus play, but some could be hardly detected at some ranges.
I have another GPO binoculars, Passion ED, from early production, i think. It definitely has some focus play, around 5-6 degrees. Which can be detected easily. As i read at BF all GPO binoculars have been affected with the focus play from the beginning.
Saga binoculars have similar focus play of 7-8 degrees.

Concerning the photo of reflections from the objective lenses. It shows that Saga and Spectra have same optics, and that they pretend to be Zeiss. :)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back