• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great reads for birders! (1 Viewer)

JoeGBirder

Photography and birding enjoyer
United States
Here's a list of novels about birding that I've read, and what they're about. The price will vary by seller, so I have not listed them. Just know, none of them were too expensive. I've provided links to places you can buy them.

- Red-Tails in Love by Marie Winn
(View on Amazon)
"The scene of this enchanting (and true) story is the Ramble, an unknown wilderness deep in the heart of New York's fabled Central Park. There an odd and amiable band of nature lovers devote themselves to observing and protecting the park's rich wildlife. When a pair of red-tailed hawks builds a nest atop a Fifth Avenue apartment house across the street from the model-boat pond, Marie Winn and her fellow "Regulars" are soon transformed into obsessed hawkwatchers. The hilarious and occasionally heartbreaking saga of Pale Male and his mate as they struggle to raise a family in their unprecedented nest site, and the affectionate portrait of the humans who fall under their spell will delight and inspire readers for years to come."

-
The Pleasures of Watching Birds by Lola Oberman (View on Amazon)
"[Lola Oberman] shares her observations on various species of birds, answers questions about bird pests, and discusses bird counts and the care of injured birds."

- Kingbird Highway by Kenn Kaufman (View on Amazon)
"At sixteen, Kenn Kaufman dropped out of the high school where he was student council president and hit the road, hitching back and forth across America, from Alaska to Florida, Maine to Mexico. Maybe not all that unusual a thing to do in the seventies, but what Kenn was searching for was a little different: not sex, drugs, God, or even self, but birds. A report of a rare bird would send him hitching nonstop from Pacific to Atlantic and back again. When he was broke he would pick fruit or do odd jobs to earn the fifty dollars or so that would last him for weeks. His goal was to set a record - most North American species seen in a year - but along the way he began to realize that at this breakneck pace he was only looking, not seeing. What had been a game became a quest for a deeper understanding of the natural world. Kingbird Highway is a unique coming-of-age story, combining a lyrical celebration of nature with wild, and sometimes dangerous, adventures, starring a colorful cast of characters."

- "Dial B for Birder!" : The Private Files of a Real-Life Bird Detective by Lola Oberman (View on Amazon)
"Warm, funny and informative, Lola Oberman's book recounts her adventures as an on-call "bird identifier" for the Audubon Naturalist Society. She considers the baffling case of serial wood duck murders, identifies a mysterious bird that interrupts a presidential address at the White House, and ponders the peculiarity of a hawk that enjoys feasting on strudel."

If there are any books about birding you enjoyed, please feel free to mention them in the replies, or if you have any questions about these books. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
All of the books listed above are available in both Paperback and Hardcover, so if you are concerned about price but want to order one, Paperbacks are cheaper.

Hi, WoodpeckerMaster
Thanks for these, they are now on my official ”to be read” list. here’s a couple more to add to the list. Both are available as paperbacks or eBooks.

A Siege of Bitterns” by Steve Burrows
A modern murder mystery set in Norfolk with the inspector who is an avid birder investigating a murder whose topic and clues revolve around birding along with the local birding culture. Nice light read.

A guide to the Birds of East Africa” by Nicholas Drayson
if you enjoyed The Ladies number 1 detective agency you might like this easy read about a gentle birder living in Kenya who finds himself caught up in some funny and sweet moments. Lots of birding, bird lists and species references. I read it every couple of years for fun.
Cheers,
Bryan

A big thumbs up here for A Guide to the Birds of East Africa! It takes real skill to engage non-birders in this way.

Meanwhile I note that the OP has included some non-fiction in his list (Kingbird Highway at least) so I will jump in to recommend some favourite factual books about birding. Some are well known and obvious, others less so. Hope you can find something here

Mark Obmascik The Big Year (Doubleday 2004)
The story behind the movie, and a serious piece of long form journalism coming from an author with a real interest in birds and birders. Kingbird Highway gets a mention

Sean Dooley The Big Twitch (Allen & Unwin 2005)
The story of a Big Year in Australia, the first to break the 700 species barrier. The author has been a comedy script writer among his other careers and is very aware of how bizarre birders might look to the rest of the world; he embeds a serious message in an entertaining tale

Dan Koeppel To See Every Bird On Earth (Hudson Street Press 2005)
Dan Koeppel writes about growing up alongside his father’s growing obsession with birds and global listing. Very well written, and especially interesting for its look at the world of elite listers and the guides they rely on.

Noah Stryker Birding Without Borders (Allen & Unwin 2017)
The well-known story of a global Big Year, a mad scramble of constant travel with a single carry-on bag. It brought the author over 6000 species across seven continents and 41 countries. The writing is about people and places as much as birds and his daily blog reports are still available on the Audubon website.

Chees, Peter

Another vote for The Big Twitch: I reckon a day out birding or an evening in the pub (or one after the other) with Sean Dooley would a good crack.

Every intention of reading The Jewel Hunter at some point but wasn't all that impressed with Kingbird Highway, the author's style and attitude just didn't gel with me.

Mark Cocker's Tales of a Tribe is a pure delight.

Probably everybody knew this except me but I discovered the other day that the author of Birdwatchingwatching (an uneven but generally enjoyable read) is the Alex Horne who is the genius behind and sidekick to Greg Davies in Taskmaster.

John

Probably everybody knew this except me but I discovered the other day that the author of Birdwatchingwatching (an uneven but generally enjoyable read) is the Alex Horne who is the genius behind and sidekick to Greg Davies in Taskmaster.

John
When I read Birdwatchingwatching, I had no idea of who Alex Horne was, other than he was a comedian I'd not seen on TV at that stage. Of course, his career took off, deservedly, afterwards. Apparently he still looks at birds, if his Twitter bio is to be believed. Maybe he's even on Birdforum (if so, hi, Alex!).

He also did a live tour in conjunction with the book's release. I bought the book at his show at Cambridge Junction and chatted to him afterwards while getting it signed.

I have picked up mysteries that are associated with birds and birding. Here is the list that I know of right now and would like any other suggestions for birding mysteries:

Lydia Adamson
Beware the Laughing Gull
Beware the Butcher Bird
Beware the Tufted Duck

Donna Andrew
Murder with Puffins

Steve Burrows
A Siege of Bitterns
A Pitying of Doves
A Cast of Falcons
A Shimmer of Hummingbirds
A Tiding of Magpies
A Dance of Cranes

Anne Cleeves – her George and Molly Palmer-Jones series
A Bird in the Hand (1986)
Come Death and High Water
Murder in Paradise (1988)
A Prey to Murder (1989)
Another Man's Poison
Sea Fever
The Mill on the Shore (1994)
High Island Blues (1996)

Anne Cleeves also places some of her other mysteries in birding communities.

Mark Dennis
The Frigatebird
Nor’Easter
Sea Glass

Karen Dudley
A Hoot to Kill
The Red Heron
Macaws of Death
Ptarmageddon

Christine Goff
Death Shoots a Birdie (renamed A Sacrifice of Buntings)
A Rant of Ravens
Death Takes a Gander
A Nest in the Ashes
Death of a Songbird
A Parliament of Owls

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back