• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Green Bee-eater query (1 Viewer)

htcdude

Morning all,

Quick question regarding the recent Green Bee-eater split (Merops orientalis/viridissimus/cyanophrys)

I don't have any photos of the bird I saw in Oman back in 2014. Can't find much on their separate ranges but looks like it wouldn't be M viridissimus as this seems more restricted to Africa? But is there any way to determine what mine might've been? Is M orientalis more an India\Pakistan and further east ranging bird?

Thanks,

Nige

They should have been M. cyanophrys muscatensis, in principle.

M. viridissimus is strictly African (NE to the Nile valley).
M. orientalis ranges W to Iran, but then only N of the Gulf of Oman; it does not occur on the Arabian Peninsula.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back