• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gruiformes and Charadriiformes (2 Viewers)

Because, if ochropus is the current type species of Tringa, It doesn't say whether Linnaeus originally considered these two names to belong to two different birds. It is difficult to know what Linnaeus was thinking at this time despite the references he cited
A lot of Linnaeus' knowledge came from the earlier literature rather than from a personal experience of the birds. It was not that infrequent that he changed his mind about the interpretation of some names, which he had adopted from some earlier authors.
In the 10th edition, he cited "Tringa" from Aldrovandus, Willughby and Ray in the synonymy of his Tringa 'ocrophus' -- so it would seem that at least at this point he thought of the two names as applying to the same thing.

Tringa: Brachvogel
When I see the work "Brachvogel" I am reminded of the word brokfugle in Danish, which according to my understanding and memory of things I heard when I was young, would be used in older literature and among hunters for short-billed birds such as Golden Plovers and Lapwing.
Niels

A lot of Linnaeus' knowledge came from the earlier literature rather than from a personal experience of the birds. It was not that infrequent that he changed his mind about the interpretation of some names, which he had adopted from some earlier authors.
He cited his contemporaries, sometimes using their French name (this is verified in editions from 1758 and the followings) and that is why I remain doubtful as to the species for which the name "Bécasseau" was originally intended because ancient authors (including Linnaeus and Gmelin) linked it to Tringa ochropus (I don't know why, maybe a double employment name). I talked about it in old posts but it disturbs me a little.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back