• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull from panorama photo at hospital (2 Viewers)

Joern Lehmhus

There is a large panorama photo in the hospital where I undergo some medical treatment at the moment ...

I do not know from where in the world that photo is- but i have the suspicion it is Australia /New Zealand there is a lawn at the seaside with European grasses, (mainly Lolium perenne) and with a thick wooden pole with a gull. Lolium grasses have widely been introduced by Europeans, but the gull doesn´t look like any European species .

I think it is either Chroicocephalus novaehollandiae , or perhaps Chroicocephalus scopulinus. It has a whitish iris and bill and legs look red. There is no more wing pattern visible than you see on this photo- so what do you make of this?

Attachments

• 20230911_121244.jpg
    20230911_121244.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 72
Silver gull must be likely, given that it's so commonly photographed and that it looks just like one. I don't know what the difference is from red-billed gull, and I see that's sometimes treated as a race of silver gull. If you want to make an Australia/New Zealand distinction you might also gain from assessing the landscape rather than the birds.
I can't really make out what's going on with the eye (nictitating membrane?), so, personally, I wouldn't exclude Hartlaub's gull and southern Africa: again, seeing the environs might help.

The combination of drilled hole for the rope railing and a carved notch near the top of the post is pretty unusual. It looks like something built for tourists, not a working dock. Any other hints in the landscape? I bet you could find it by comparing Google Street View with coastlines near cities in New Zealand or Australia. Or send it to that guy on YouTube who posts all his GeoGuessr scores.

Hi Jörn,

as said, it's most probably a Silver Gull from Australia, or Red-billed Gull from New Zealand, which wouldn't be distinguishable from the former - I'd exclude Hartlaub's from South Africa on very pale iris and strong, bright red bill.
Gute Besserung! Lou

many thanks all,
see here , doesn´t give much more information ,
beside Lolium perenne , there seems to be Hordeum murinum among the grasses (and may be Phalaris canariensis)

Attachments

• grass on gull photo.jpg
    grass on gull photo.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 39
  • gull 2.jpg
    gull 2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 40
Why? please explain- and please consider that the photos look relatively dark...

also I think there is too much white in the primaries?
I've not examined this forensically. The scene reminds me of various places I went when there the other year. The colours of the gull seem dark (as does the eye) compared with silver gull.

But as I said, Iris color appears light, whitish, and the bill and legs seem quite red onnthe original photo- Admittedly not well visible on my photos of the Panorama picture....

hartlaubs gull i have seen myself... ( as well as grey hooded and potential hybrids) ....though years ago.
I did not see this here as Hartlaubs...

well, I will try to get a better photo from the picture... but it is rather dark in that room and the photos of the picture I took with mobile phone does always look different from the panorama picture itself..
However, if that doesn´t work I´ll just leave it unidentified... It is not a bird seen in life, but just a photo...

well, I will try to get a better photo from the picture... but it is rather dark in that room and the photos of the picture I took with mobile phone does always look different from the panorama picture itself..
However, if that doesn´t work I´ll just leave it unidentified... It is not a bird seen in life, but just a photo...
You're going to have to write a description ...

;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back