• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull, Victoria, Vancouver Island BC (1 Viewer)

Deb335077

All these taken in Victoria, Vancouver Island in Sept this year

Thank you for any help and all the help given in my recent threads on Alaska & Vancouver.
It is very much appreciated.

Debbie

Attachments

• 00 105A1654.jpg
    00 105A1654.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 00 105A1832.jpg
    00 105A1832.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 00 105A1936.jpg
    00 105A1936.jpg
    577.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 00 105A2269.jpg
    00 105A2269.jpg
    393.4 KB · Views: 25
Hi Debbie, the large Larus in the Pacific NW can be challenge, particularly due to hybrid "Olympic Gull" occidentalis x glaucescens. I spent an afternoon puzzling over these at a fish farm in Tofino, and decided that a proportion of the population were above my skill set.
That said, these birds look to have mostly Glaucous-winged features, with an all dark bill (no pale base to lower mandible), smoky plumage tones, and little contrast between the darkest tones of the primaries and the mantle colour - the exception being "2269", which looks a bit darker in the primaries than the mantle, and has darker legs, perhaps suggesting some Western genes somewhere down the line.
Hopefully others with more experience will chip in, it is 9 years since I was last in BC, and I have to admit there were more interesting things to spend my time looking at!

Hi Debbie, the large Larus in the Pacific NW can be challenge, particularly due to hybrid "Olympic Gull" occidentalis x glaucescens. I spent an afternoon puzzling over these at a fish farm in Tofino, and decided that a proportion of the population were above my skill set.
That said, these birds look to have mostly Glaucous-winged features, with an all dark bill (no pale base to lower mandible), smoky plumage tones, and little contrast between the darkest tones of the primaries and the mantle colour - the exception being "2269", which looks a bit darker in the primaries than the mantle, and has darker legs, perhaps suggesting some Western genes somewhere down the line.
Hopefully others with more experience will chip in, it is 9 years since I was last in BC, and I have to admit there were more interesting things to spend my time looking at!
I think the above pretty much sums it up - "Glaucous-winged"-ish Gulls, possibly pure, more like with some degree of hybridization with Western.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back