• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

gulls - Norfolk UK, Oct 2023 (2 Viewers)

postcardcv

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Spent some time at the beach yesterday amongst others I grabbed a couple of shots of this gull. Just cannot make it click in my brain so if someone could put me out of my misery that would be good. Third shot is (obviously) a different bird - helps on the ageing of it would be appreciated. Also if anyone has any suggestions on a good book to help me get my head around gulls as there is always an odd bird or two...

7D2X6287.jpg
7D2X6285.jpg
7D2X7519.jpg

Spent some time at the beach yesterday amongst others I grabbed a couple of shots of this gull. Just cannot make it click in my brain so if someone could put me out of my misery that would be good. Third shot is (obviously) a different bird - helps on the ageing of it would be appreciated. Also if anyone has any suggestions on a good book to help me get my head around gulls as there is always an odd bird or two...

View attachment 1536366
View attachment 1536367
View attachment 1536368
Hi. I'm no gull expert, but the third pic looks like a 3rd Winter Herring gull, and pics 1&2 may be a 2nd Winter??

firstly im no expert on gulls but have learnt a lot of people on this forum

the first 2 photos

so general brown feathers the main feature is the "primary flash" which is very pale in herring gull

your bird in the first 2 photos looks similar to a common gull dainty head and bill bicoulered

the first photo shows the classic primary flash (between the primaries and secondaries)

3rd photo is a 3rd cycle herring gull in moult with flat bellied look the head pattern could indicate some northern genes

gulls are hard unless your at the seaside they do my head in but making progress

as for books

gulls of europe the photo one is good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back