• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

H1n with ME66/K6 (1 Viewer)

fnoer

Germany
Hello,

I'm just more or less starting to record some bird sounds as I've been wanting to get into this for a long time (in addition to photography). Currently I own a Zoom H1n and noticed that the internal microphones are quite noisy if you're not absolutely surrounded by birds.
That's why I'm looking to buy an external microphone. I would have the option to buy a Sennheiser MKE 600 but I found a ME66/K6 combo relatively cheap (170 €). At some later point I'm planning to upgrade my recorder (if this hobby really is something for me). However, I would really like to capture this spring's sounds.

Additionally (based on my research and the data [~50mv/Pa vs 19mv/Pa] ) I found that the ME66/K6 is supposedly way better than the MKE 600. That's why I want to use this combo (battery powered with a XLR to 3.5mm adapter). Is this feasible or does someone have experience using this? I'm not looking for stellar recordings but I'd like to at least somewhat get my money's worth until I possibly upgrade.
More or less, I just want better recordings (more focused, way less noisy) than the built-in microphones. Is this something I can reasonably expect from this setup?

Update: I bought the mic today (different seller, with a windshield). I will update the post with my results once I receive it.

Update: I bought the mic today (different seller, with a windshield). I will update the post with my results once I receive it.
Do you have an update? I just bought an ME66 with the K6 power module. I am pairing these with the Zoom H4n Pro.

Would you be willing to share a recording you've made?

Are you using a windscreen and blimp kit?

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back