• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Handbook of Mammals of the World vol 6 (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
There is a survey that lasts until November. So it will took at least one more month until Lynx will announced whether it will give one or two rodents volumes.

NHBS has this to be published in 2019, that can't be right can it, I thought they were due at one vol every 1-2 years max?

Andy

Quite some time ago, I saw a publication schedule that indicated a large gap after the publication of the 2015 volume. So I'm afraid NHBS may well be right. Maybe, I should take the 2019 date as a hint not to get the forthcoming books. I'll be way over 80 till the series comes to an end. :storm:

Lynx has published the family list from HMW 6. Interesting surprises: Heterocephalidae (described in 2014) is recognized as distinct family for the Naked mole rat (formerly Bathyergidae). Myocastoridae (Coypou) and Capromyidae (hutias) are not recognized as distinct families but included in Echimyidae (formerly only for the Neotropical spiny rats).

http://www.lynxeds.com/hmw/handbook-mammals-world-volume-6

Edentata?

I keep wondering where the anteaters and armadillos are going to show up. Or have I missed them so far in one of the already published volumes? It's clear that they will not be in volumes 6 and 7, I think.

I think I saw them with the hoofed mammals

Maffong

No. Only the aardvarks and pangolins are included in the Hoofed mammals volume. Could well be that they will include the Xenarthra in the insectivores volume (though it makes no sense to include the sloths as this group is not insectivorous)

Last edited:
I keep wondering where the anteaters and armadillos are going to show up. Or have I missed them so far in one of the already published volumes? It's clear that they will not be in volumes 6 and 7, I think.

I guess they will pop up with the insectivores....

I saw a schedule where part six was scheduled to come out in spring 2016....

I hope there will be a chapter on extinct rodents in HMW 7. 39 extinct rodents (and several more in the PE category) in the IUCN Red List shouldn't be ignored.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back