• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hanging Parrot (1 Viewer)

SeeToh

Opus Editor
Digiscoped these two Blue-crowned Hanging Parrots with a Nikon Coolpix P300 and Nikon 82mm ED Fieldscope + 30x DS Eyepiece.

Settings for Adult: ISO160 1/200s f/3.5 0EV (focal length in 35mm terms: 1660mm) no editing done besides cropping.

Settings for Juvenile: ISO160 1/640s f/3.5 0EV (focal length in 35mm terms: 1660mm) no editing done besides cropping.

Would it be better if I have lower the EV to -0.3 or -0.7 to get a faster shutter speed? What else could be done to improve on these two shots?

Attachments

• male blue-crowned hanging parrot.jpg
    male blue-crowned hanging parrot.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 77
  • juvenile blue-crowned hanging parrot.jpg
    juvenile blue-crowned hanging parrot.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 68
Can't answer your question because I don't digiscope but I have to say these images, especially the first one are amongst the best digiscoped photographs I've ever seen. Nice colours, beautiful background and very good sharpness. Well done!

Can't answer your question because I don't digiscope but I have to say these images, especially the first one are amongst the best digiscoped photographs I've ever seen. Nice colours, beautiful background and very good sharpness. Well done!

Thanks SJC for the compliments. I was lucky to have this 5-inch parrot staying still for me on a eye-level and open perch. The early morning light was also on my side.

A very much nicer image of the same bird shot by my neighbor who was to my left using a Nikon D4 attached to a 600mm lens & 1.4TC can be found in his facebook http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!...0280450274094.342475.684354093&type=3&theater.

i'm not familiar with the method used to get these shots, but i'll offer my thoughts on using an SLR with a zoom lens. might be of some use?

the green on green is a tough shot. the definition in the head is soft and the background doesn't help. how much cropping was done?

the second shot is much better in terms of the background not playing against the body color, but the softness along the upper edges of the bird's head give it a flat, one dimensional look. maybe popping the ISO up to 200 and then opening the aperture a little so you aren't using the focus to push the DOF?

the second shot almosts looks as if the bird has a smile giving it some interest. why is he smiling?

Last edited:
Thanks Dubaron for your tips.

Digiscoping especially with a compact p&s camera (P300 in my case) has considerable limitations as compared to SLR with zoom or prime lens.

A similar shot of the same bird taken by my birding pal GCSpyder using his Nikon D4 and 600mm prime lens with 1.4TC is attached with my digiscoped shot. Do not have his camera settings for the shot though.

Quality of the digiscoped shot could not get anywhere near the SLR image but I cannot complain since the costs of my setup is just a fraction of the SLR setupo:D

i'm not familiar with the method used to get these shots, but i'll offer my thoughts on using an SLR with a zoom lens. might be of some use?

the green on green is a tough shot. the definition in the head is soft and the background doesn't help. how much cropping was done?

the second shot is much better in terms of the background not playing against the body color, but the softness along the upper edges of the bird's head give it a flat, one dimensional look. maybe popping the ISO up to 200 and then opening the aperture a little so you aren't using the focus to push the DOF?

the second shot almosts looks as if the bird has a smile giving it some interest. why is he smiling?

Attachments

• 546729_10150864361744094_1180611030_n.jpg
    546729_10150864361744094_1180611030_n.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 34
  • male blue-crowned hanging parrot.jpg
    male blue-crowned hanging parrot.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 43
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back