• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Happy newcomer to the bird scene! (1 Viewer)

briansy

United Kingdom
Hi there, I have recently set up a bird feeding station on the balcony of my second floor London apartment. A bird table with 4 feeders dangling from it and a dangling mesh platform. I have one of those multi / high quality mixes, suet berry bites, suet slabs, peanuts and the fat balls. Also the little calcium grubs. And a small suction thing on my window.

I also have a bird bath and a little ground feeder thing.

First came the pigeons which delighted me - still do. Then a magpie, then a robin, now at least two robins daily. And I also get occasional visits from blue tits, coal tits and great tits. Far less frequently than the others. I had a Jay land on the balcony twice but paid no attention to the food or water and left immediately.

I feel like certain plants, flowers or whatever will provide cover and / or other conditions that would attract a wider variety of birds? Together with some form of "interest" in the form of little logs or whatever that they could hop around and have a nose on? I want to put a bird box somewhere (in the top corner I assume?) And a camera in the box. Also perjaps a couple of cameras looking at the other station from different angles. I think decent cameras and a decent bird box. Plus any other different types of feeders I have missed.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what plants I could put up to attract a better variety of birds? Or suggestions as to the camera configuration including some good brands? I heard some of them have bird recognition AI on them even! Anyway, would appreciate some thoughts.

Hi Brian and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I need to think about some plants, I'll hopefully come back later, but others should have some ideas for you too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi Brian and a warm welcome to you!

I like ferns as it gives the birds a place to fly into when they are nervous or just shy. Of course they will not survive a cold winter so you would need to bring the indoors when it gets cold.

I think I'm gonna go for this one for the bird box.

The YouTube video showing all the angles makes it look absolutely amazing

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

Plants with berries which can be container grown might be good. I’m thinking of berberis, cotoneaster, viburnum.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back