• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Harrier Central Sweden 11th October (1 Viewer)

Macswede

Macswede
We saw this bird being attacked by our resident female Sparrowhawk yesterday. The action was fairly close to the window but the angle wasn't the best for ID. Obviously the bird was much larger than the Sparrowhawk but it may have looked larger than it was because it was close. The most likely candidate at this time of year would be a juvenile Hen Harrier, and that's what I think it is but other species of harrier have also been seen in our part of Sweden recently. There are 5 primaries clearly visible.

Attachments

• 064A3246.jpg
    064A3246.jpg
    628.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 064A3247.jpg
    064A3247.jpg
    687 KB · Views: 48
  • 064A3248.jpg
    064A3248.jpg
    641.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 064A3249.jpg
    064A3249.jpg
    852.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 064A3250.jpg
    064A3250.jpg
    606 KB · Views: 56
  • 064A3251.jpg
    064A3251.jpg
    540.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 064A3252.jpg
    064A3252.jpg
    626.1 KB · Views: 64
I should like to know what visible features ('finger'-counting apart) actually identify this bird.
heavy build and very broad hand (even without finger counting) and head pattern with nicely defined but very patterned collar, Pallid and Hen are quite similar here.
And with growing S5 left and new central tail feathers, as well as irregular greater coverts, I very much doubt this is a juvenile

heavy build and very broad hand (even without finger counting) and head pattern with nicely defined but very patterned collar, Pallid and Hen are quite similar here.
And with growing S5 left and new central tail feathers, as well as irregular greater coverts, I very much doubt this is a juvenile
Thanks tconzemi,
Interesting to know that it's probably not a juvenile.

head pattern with nicely defined but very patterned collar, Pallid and Hen are quite similar here.
Exactly the point I had in mind. Thanks. But still don't think I could separate them on this - which, I realise now, surprises me.
Also interesting/confusing that, for an adult, the chest ground-colour isn't white - or maybe it's 2nd-year.

My experience of fem/imm.Hen Harrier is “almost” zero, therefore I reach for the guide as I have done in this instance.
The guide, (fingers apart..all 5 🤣) shows pale wing coverts (assumed this was a sign of immaturity?….ie not a full adult?),
Further I note, that there is “buff” stitching to the outer rectrices, according to the illustration in Collins this would appear to be exclusive to imm.Hen Harrier as is the uniform upper-wing unlike an adult female which should show distinct bands? 😮

Last edited:
We saw this bird being attacked by our resident female Sparrowhawk yesterday. The action was fairly close to the window but the angle wasn't the best for ID. Obviously the bird was much larger than the Sparrowhawk but it may have looke larger than it was because it was close. The most likely candidate at this time of year would be a juvenile Hen Harrier, and that's what I think it is but other species of harrier have also been seen in our part of Sweden recently. There are 5 primaries clearly visible.
Hi. Looks OK for a juvenile Hen to me......white on the ends of the sec greater/median coverts, which, is not so prominent on an adult female.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back