• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help needed with ID of bird in marshland area in Zhejiang, China (1 Viewer)

earpy1

United Kingdom
My husband and I were out birdwatching on June 1st in Zhuji city, Zhejiang province, China, when we caught on camera this bird in the distance. It was a small heron-like bird but cannot pinpoint the exact species. It sat for several minutes in the reeds before dropping down out of sight to one of the multiple creeks. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Attachments

• Need help.jpg
    Need help.jpg
    367.3 KB · Views: 95
Looks like a little bittern
Thank you! I did see this too but my concern is that all my books show that the little bittern isn't found in eastern China... my initial thought was yellow bittern due to the size and colouration - but my reservation was that all pictures I could see showed chest stripes and this hasn't got any..

Thank you! I did see this too but my concern is that all my books show that the little bittern isn't found in eastern China... my initial thought was yellow bittern due to the size and colouration - but my reservation was that all pictures I could see showed chest stripes and this hasn't got any..
I would wait for more replies but the reason you gave is similar to mine. However, people who are more familiar with the area will give you a better answer.

I don't see any problem with Yellow Bittern. The lack of obvious chest stripes is fine. See e.g.
Thank you! That will teach me for just looking at Zhejiang area for examples. I will spread the net wider for sure now! Thanks so much for your help - very much appreciated.

My husband and I were out birdwatching on June 1st in Zhuji city, Zhejiang province, China, when we caught on camera this bird in the distance. It was a small heron-like bird but cannot pinpoint the exact species. It sat for several minutes in the reeds before dropping down out of sight to one of the multiple creeks. Any help would be very much appreciated.
I'm currently working in the area of Lianyungang in Jiangsu province.
My hotel overlooks a freshwater lake and in the distance i can see the Yellow Sea, I have been here for two weeks and i haven't seen a single bird on or around the water in front of the hotel.
The lake has reeds around the shore so i was hoping there would be at least something.
I have a great view of the lake from the 6th floor but i'm amazed at the lack of activity, are you familiar with this province, do you think this is normal?
Even travelling by road to work i've only seen a couple of magpies, a little tern and sparrows.

I'm currently working in the area of Lianyungang in Jiangsu province.
My hotel overlooks a freshwater lake and in the distance i can see the Yellow Sea, I have been here for two weeks and i haven't seen a single bird on or around the water in front of the hotel.
The lake has reeds around the shore so i was hoping there would be at least something.
I have a great view of the lake from the 6th floor but i'm amazed at the lack of activity, are you familiar with this province, do you think this is normal?
Even travelling by road to work i've only seen a couple of magpies, a little tern and sparrows.
Mark,
Haven't been to that area of the country before, but a quick look at eBird hotspots tells me that there should be decent birding locations in the Lianyungang area -- for example I see the Linhong River Estuary (临洪河口)as well as the Qingkou River Estuary (青口河口)places with pretty long lists of waterbirds in a fairly low number of checklists.

While history did have an impact on bird numbers in the country, I think most would agree that birds have rebounded in many/most places and while the country isn't always the easiest place to find access to birding sites (especially if using public transportation), there are some fabulous birds and birding areas to be explored!

Mike

Mark,
Haven't been to that area of the country before, but a quick look at eBird hotspots tells me that there should be decent birding locations in the Lianyungang area -- for example I see the Linhong River Estuary (临洪河口)as well as the Qingkou River Estuary (青口河口)places with pretty long lists of waterbirds in a fairly low number of checklists.

While history did have an impact on bird numbers in the country, I think most would agree that birds have rebounded in many/most places and while the country isn't always the easiest place to find access to birding sites (especially if using public transportation), there are some fabulous birds and birding areas to be explored!

Mike
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info, i wish i'd posted sooner as i've come to the end of this trip and i'm returning to Beijing tomorrow for the flights back to the UK.
It's not all bad news though i'll need to return again in a couple of months, this time i'll try at least one of those estuaries you've mentioned.

Mark

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info, i wish i'd posted sooner as i've come to the end of this trip and i'm returning to Beijing tomorrow for the flights back to the UK.
It's not all bad news though i'll need to return again in a couple of months, this time i'll try at least one of those estuaries you've mentioned.

Mark
June is low season as more than the estimate of whole population of Asian Dowitcher pass the estuaries in mid-May----more than 20,000.In July and Aug you can often see a few thousand.
Birds seen around a lake depends on how natural or artificial the lake is.Small ponds even in the city used to be good for Reed Parrotbill,but even now ponds and lakes next to the estuaries can be hard for them.
A new 'Egret Wetland Park' was open this year next to Qingkou estuary and in May I saw more sculptures of egrets than real Little Egrets.

Friends of Nature,an NGO from Beijing,called for a stop of the coastal reclamation at Linhong estuary based on our survey results of Asian Dowitcher.
Hope the habitat can be remained.

BTW,we saw a Laughing Gull there in Aug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back