• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hen Harrier Roosting in a Tree (1 Viewer)

Stewart J.

Presently monitoring a roost normally the ringtail arrives mid/late afternoon hunts for a while then goes to roost on the ground amongst the rushes. Today the bird arrived almost at dusk hunted for a few minutes then flew up into a leafless tree where it remained till I left at dusk. Cannot find any references to Hen Harriers roosting in trees anyone come across similar behaviour.

No, but I've certainly seen roosts where one bird or another has sat up in the way you describe until dusk or beyond. I've always assumed these are birds that have had a thin time that day and are hoping for a late victim. I would imagine that once it was properly dark the bird dropped down to roost.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back