• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hi from Chesterfield, Derbyshire, England (1 Viewer)

Shane3004

England
Hello everyone.

First post here. I live just outside the town of Chesterfield, Derbyshire, which is nicely positioned right in the middle of the UK. Been birding on and off since being a child. Some very fond and special memories watching a selection of tits and finches coming to feed on the fat balls that me and my late mother used to make in the kitchen using old yoghurt pots. Really got back into the hobby when I purchased a Nikon d500 and Sigma 150-600mm lens (about April 2022), which pretty much goes anywhere I do!

My favourite UK sightings so far are a Spotted Crake, Osprey, Tawny Owl, and a Black Redstart. Recent sightings of Marsh Harriers are up there too! From my overseas travels, the pick of my birds has to be the 'I'iwi or Scarlet Honeycreeper that I photographed in Maui.

We are off to Costa Rica in March 2024, so I'm hoping to add a good number of new birds there too.

Shane

Welcome - we had some great sightings and pics of the peregrine at the cathedral when we holidayed there recently :)

Welcome - we had some great sightings and pics of the peregrine at the cathedral when we holidayed there recently :)
Thank you. Ah ha, you mean Ye Olde Crooked Spire? Embarrassingly I've yet to photograph the Pergerine on the spire. The ones I've seen have been on the East Coast at RSPB Bempton Cliffs, and RSPB Blacktoft Sands.

Hi Shane and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I can't remember now which Hawaiian island it was that had the devastating fires, but I've a feeling it might have been Maui - I do hope that most of the birds have survived it, as some were already endangered.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

It is a beauty :)

Attachments

• P1110226.jpeg
    P1110226.jpeg
    6.9 MB · Views: 3
  • P1110222.jpeg
    P1110222.jpeg
    6.8 MB · Views: 3
  • P1110228.jpeg
    P1110228.jpeg
    6.8 MB · Views: 3
  • P1110173.jpeg
    P1110173.jpeg
    6.3 MB · Views: 3
Hi Shane and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I can't remember now which Hawaiian island it was that had the devastating fires, but I've a feeling it might have been Maui - I do hope that most of the birds have survived it, as some were already endangered.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.
Thank you for the warm welcome, and to the others who have also welcomed me. Sadly it was Maui that suffered the devastating fires. Mostly the town of Lahaina. Whilst my heart goes out to the people of Maui, I did wonder about effect this had on the birdlife. Whilst there I was also lucky enough to photograph two other endemics, the Amakihi, and Apapane.

Shane

Hi

We were on the Camping and Motorhome site at Poolsbrook this Easter - great walks and birding - had a fabulous time.

Hi again Shane I do hope we may see some of your pictures in the Gallery, we no longer seem to have any members reporting from Hawaii, so pictures rarely come in from there and we're rather short of images of both those birds you mention.... the Amakihi, and Apapane.

It seems my memory isn't in such a bad state after all LOL

Hi again Shane I do hope we may see some of your pictures in the Gallery, we no longer seem to have any members reporting from Hawaii, so pictures rarely come in from there and we're rather short of images of both those birds you mention.... the Amakihi, and Apapane.

It seems my memory isn't in such a bad state after all LOL
Absolutely, I'll post pics of all three of the Hawaiian birdies. A very special trip to celebrate being with my wife for 20 years. And I spent half of the time birding. He he. It's great to know there's people out there that want to see the birds.

Shane

Users who are viewing this thread

Back