• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hi from Mexico (1 Viewer)

Hi! My name is Miguel Aguilar (can call me Michael, Mike..), I am a birder from Mexico City, I guide birding tours in Central Mexico and other parts of the country, also work as field assistant for bird monitoring and research. I love exploring new areas and finding new birds, but also enjoy understanding better my local birds, so I am very active birder, doing amateur photo and bird recordings.

Got here by recommendation of a fellow exclient from the UK, he explained it is needed better connection with my country to promote birding and tours, although it seems direct tour promotion is forbidden, yet I like that the forum seems very active and I am sure it will be fun to participate. I have also been birding in several South-american countries and I am really in love with its diversity, so I hope to learn and share about birds from all around the world.

Next summer I am going to visit Germany (Braunschweig), so might write another thread searching for recommendations and birders in the area.

And of course I would be glad if I can help with information about birding in my country and other parts I visited.

Saludos!

Attachments

• Xenospiza baileyi (4) La Cima.jpg
    Xenospiza baileyi (4) La Cima.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 15
  • Philortyx fasciatus (IGB) Teltama.jpg
    Philortyx fasciatus (IGB) Teltama.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 16
  • Cardellina rubra (1) Maravillas.jpg
    Cardellina rubra (1) Maravillas.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 13
  • Peucaea humeralis (1) Teltama.jpg
    Peucaea humeralis (1) Teltama.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 15
Hi Mike and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. What wonderful pictures you've shown us I do hope we may see some more of your images in the Gallery too.

Three of these pictures are a first for the forum. We would like to be able to add them to the relevant pages of our Opus Encyclopaedia, such as this page for the Black-chested Sparrow Black-chested Sparrow - BirdForum Opus. We would also need to know where and when you took the images.... you will of course retain the copyright and will be credited as the photographer.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Last edited:
Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group. Those are great photos.

Hi Mike and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. What wonderful pictures you've shown us I do hope we may see some more of your images in the Gallery too.

Three of these pictures are a first for the forum. We would like to be able to add them to the relevant pages of our Opus Encyclopaedia, such as this page for the Black-chested Sparrow Black-chested Sparrow - BirdForum Opus. We would also need to know where and when you took the images.... you will of course retain the copyright and will be credited as the photographer.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.
Thank you! And thanks to all for the welcome and comments on the photos! I am sure I will enjoy being part of the forum. Special thanks to @THE_FERN, who introduced me to the forum.

I would very much love to have my photos added to the Encyclopaedia, and contributing to it in anyway I can. For the locations ¿Do you need the name or the coordinates?

There is one place, where I photographed the Sierra Madre Sparrow which is not recommended to go now, there is another alternate place to find it (the one I took Fern to see it), so I don't know how we should manage that, because I don't want to promote people going to an unsafe spot.

I am sharing a few other Mexican endemics!

Attachments

• Lepidocolaptes leucogaster (1) Chichinautzin (guía).jpg
    Lepidocolaptes leucogaster (1) Chichinautzin (guía).jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 10
  • Melozone kieneri (2) San Andrés de la Cal.jpg
    Melozone kieneri (2) San Andrés de la Cal.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 8
  • Chlorostilbon auriceps (1) San Andrés de la Cal.jpg
    Chlorostilbon auriceps (1) San Andrés de la Cal.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 6
  • Geothlypis speciosa (1) Lerma.jpg
    Geothlypis speciosa (1) Lerma.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 8
Hi again Miguel

Thanks so much for your response and we'll shortly get busy adding your pictures to the relevant Opus articles. It is the name of the location that we like for the images, co-ordinates can also go there and may then be added to the Opus page as well.

There is one place, where I photographed the Sierra Madre Sparrow which is not recommended to go now, there is another alternate place to find it (the one I took Fern to see it), so I don't know how we should manage that, because I don't want to promote people going to an unsafe spot.

I quite take your point. We don't need the exact spot in cases like this, but something more general (over here we would perhaps use a County name), I suppose that might be equivalent to your States? Would that be acceptable do you think. I could discuss this with our Opus Editors (one of whom is The_Fern) and see what they think. We also like the date the picture was taken.

It's lovely to see some more of your pictures here too, that gorgeous woodcreeper is another new species image for the Opus. These are a bit larger than our Treecreeper, which is my favourite woodland bird! Your pictures would attract far more view in the Gallery you know? ;)

Hi Miguel. Welcome to Birdforum. Great photos.
Where did you photograph the Red Warbler (Cardellina rubra). I have seen and photographed them a few times but could not get a nice photo like yours. I travel to Mexico often. Will be there again in April or May.

Hello, and welcome to the forum from me as well! I think you can put a link to your commercial website (or the like) in a profile post and in 'About' section of your profile. Very nice photos indeed!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231210-211410_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20231210-211410_Brave.jpg
    362.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20231210-211508_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20231210-211508_Brave.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 4
Hi! My name is Miguel Aguilar (can call me Michael, Mike..), I am a birder from Mexico City, I guide birding tours in Central Mexico and other parts of the country, also work as field assistant for bird monitoring and research. I love exploring new areas and finding new birds, but also enjoy understanding better my local birds, so I am very active birder, doing amateur photo and bird recordings.

Got here by recommendation of a fellow exclient from the UK, he explained it is needed better connection with my country to promote birding and tours, although it seems direct tour promotion is forbidden, yet I like that the forum seems very active and I am sure it will be fun to participate. I have also been birding in several South-american countries and I am really in love with its diversity, so I hope to learn and share about birds from all around the world.

Next summer I am going to visit Germany (Braunschweig), so might write another thread searching for recommendations and birders in the area.

And of course I would be glad if I can help with information about birding in my country and other parts I visited.

Saludos!
Thanks again for these Miguel, I've now added the three from the first post to the relevant Opus articles:

The one from you other post I will do later on.

Thank you all for your welcome! I have been very busy but I will try to keep posting. Glad to share photos, and thank you for adding them to the Opus @delia todd

Sierra Madre Sparrow - BirdForum Opus The photo is from "Milpa Alta, Mexico City"
Banded Quail - BirdForum Opus Banded Quail from "Xochicalco, Morelos"
Red Warbler - BirdForum Opus and Maravillas is the location I don´t recommend to visit now, so I would only add "Tlalpan, Mexico City"

Thanks so much for that Mike - I've now corrected the locations as listed.

Is parque las Maravillas dangerous now?

...They were busy performing "habitat improvement" when I was there last December (el canto de la moto sierra).

Hi Mike,
I will be in Mexico City in early May for a few days. Do you want to get together for a one-day birding trip? If you are available, send me a message. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back