• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How do you set up your dual hinge binoculars? (1 Viewer)

Bentley03

United Kingdom
Being right handed, I have always extended the right hinge fully, then adjusted the left hinge to establish correct IPD, so the binocular looks a little like the asymmetrical single hinge Zeiss Victory Pocket when in use. But, after a fair amount of experimentation recently, have switched to setting up the hinges of my dual hinge binoculars symmetrically. I find this to be steadier and more comfortable in use. The downside is that it takes a little longer to set them up.

How do fellow members set up their dual hinge binoculars?

Thank you! 🍻

I prefer the asymmetrical setup with both my Leica UV 8x20 and 10x25 because it‘s faster and (for me) easier to deploy.
The binocular is also more stable in this setup i experienced because the right barrel is “fixed”, so less shake.

Cheers

I'm thinking of getting a piece of wood and carving it so it fits perfectly in between the two barrels at the correct IPD.
This will { hopefully } stop the constant fiddling about with both hinges.
As my right hinge is by far the slacker, I will fully extend this.
Maybe a couple of sturdy rubber bands or velcro strips can be used to keep the wood/correct IPD in place.

If carved correctly it should have no problem staying put due to the circular nature of the barrels.
Experimentation is the key here.

I will have a trip down a few back lanes to get a piece of wood from a skip.

I'm thinking of getting a piece of wood and carving it so it fits perfectly in between the two barrels at the correct IPD.
Maybe a couple of sturdy rubber bands or velcro strips can be used to keep the wood/correct IPD in place.

If carved correctly it should have no problem staying put due to the circular nature of the barrels.

You might as well use a full size pair really because pocket binoculars strapped to a piece of wood cease to be pocket binoculars (unless you have a very large pocket ;-). )

If you don’t plan to sell you can use superglue to fixate the IPD setting 😛

Plus 1 on "Experimentation is the key here". A small piece of wood custom carved is a good idea. As long as it doesn't interfere or snag in actual deployment there would be no significant downside IMO. Once perfected, you might try a 3D printed version.

I prefer to carry dual hinge pockets symmetrically when possible, asymmetrically depending, either way set at proper IPD.

Mike

I prefer the asymmetrical setup technique. Swing one barrel out until it hits the stop and adjust the IPD with the other barrel. Which barrel you adjust depends on whether you are left or right handed, but essentially you end up duplicating how the Zeiss 8x25 SF works,

I have always extended the right hinge fully, then adjusted the left hinge…But, after a fair amount of experimentation recently, have switched to setting up the hinges of my dual hinge binoculars symmetrically.
You just described my journey there! When I first got my 8x20 Ultravid I went with the asymmetrical setup I’d seen mentioned somewhere in the forum and thought it sounded logical, but eventually found myself just pulling both sides out, and I doubt that it’s actually any slower either.

As is often the case, it may be that for many of us the one that sounded good on paper didn’t pan out once put to the test.

Being right handed, I have always extended the right hinge fully, then adjusted the left hinge to establish correct IPD, so the binocular looks a little like the asymmetrical single hinge Zeiss Victory Pocket when in use. But, after a fair amount of experimentation recently, have switched to setting up the hinges of my dual hinge binoculars symmetrically. I find this to be steadier and more comfortable in use. The downside is that it takes a little longer to set them up.

How do fellow members set up their dual hinge binoculars?

Thank you! 🍻

You just described my journey there! When I first got my 8x20 Ultravid I went with the asymmetrical setup I’d seen mentioned somewhere in the forum and thought it sounded logical, but eventually found myself just pulling both sides out, and I doubt that it’s actually any slower either.

As is often the case, it may be that for many of us the one that sounded good on paper didn’t pan out once put to the test.

Bentley, Please remind which pocket model(s) you are using?

Trinovid, Agree -- one of the advantages of the Trinovid/UV 8x20 pockets is (unless carried folded for whatever reason) there is enough tension in the hinges that carrying with symmetrical IP adjustment doesn't normally move and so doesn't require adjustment while in use. The SW CL has looser hinges so I adjust those asymmetrically. Asymmetrical adjustment is a handy technique but does work better on some models than others. No right or wrong way, just preferences based on preferred use of different models.

Mike

Bentley, Please remind which pocket model(s) you are using?

Trinovid, Agree -- one of the advantages of the Trinovid/UV 8x20 pockets is (unless carried folded for whatever reason) there is enough tension in the hinges that carrying with symmetrical IP adjustment doesn't normally move and so doesn't require adjustment while in use. The SW CL has looser hinges so I adjust those asymmetrically. Asymmetrical adjustment is a handy technique but does work better on some models than others. No right or wrong way, just preferences based on preferred use of different models.

Mike
The same two as you, Mike (I do own and use others, but these are my favourites and most used overall). The 8x20 UV's go with me everywhere where I'm not specifically intending to use binoculars, so are generally deployed in a rush to catch a target before it's too late, and take CL Pocket's if I believe there's a possibility I might need a binocular for a more extended period of viewing.

The UV's hold their hinge positions very securely, as you rightly say, and now I've practiced setting them with symmetrical hinge positions over a period of time, I actually don't perceive it's taking me any longer to set them up than the asymmetrical hinge setting I used to use. I also find the slightly different grip I use now to aid stability.

The CL Pocket's also hold their hinge positions securely, I find, so I now deploy them symmetrically too. If there's a concern I have about them, it's that one of the pull out eyecups might move (I wear glasses and set the eyecups raised a fraction), leading to lopsided eye relief, which in turn corrupts IPD. Easily rectified, just frustrating if it happens at the wrong moment (which invariably it does).

I haven't checked, but I'm wondering if any of the manufacturers specifically suggest a symmetrical or asymmetrical setting in the instructions for setting up their dual hinge binoculars. Is there in fact a right or wrong way to deploy them...?

James

I'm right handed. I fully extend the right hinge until it hits the stop and then adjust the left to get the correct IPD - the same as you used to. I'll try the symmetrical technique though.

I have always pocketed, stored, etc., a Leica Ultravid 10x25 folded out symmetrically at my IPD, never using its case. Very convenient. Most pants pockets should easily hold, and allow entry and exit of, a pocket bino of that size folded out to a typical IPD. Lies flatter than a Zeiss Victory 8x25 (which has a single asymmetric hinge) pocketed likewise. If you don't use obj. caps you have to be careful not to have anything in the pocket that can touch the obj. lenses, and if no eyepiece caps also about fingers touching eyepiece lenses when reaching in.

I set the hinges on my compact Nikon HG 10x25 symmetrically. I just fold them out till they are equal and fit my eye sockets and I get a full FOV without blackouts. I keep them folded up and in the leather case with the strap out, when I am not using them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back