• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to differentiate 8x30 CL-B from previous models? (1 Viewer)

iseegeorgesstar

United States
Hey,

I was reading Holger's excellent review comparison of habicht vs cl companion. And realized that it's probably referring to the non-updated CL-B version of the binoculars.

I was wondering how to differentiate the CL-B from the CL Companion?

I've noticed that on the SW website the CL-B binos have no markings on them. I was wondering if that's the new version or a marketing oopsie on their website?

I'm curious if the color fringing was addressed in the updated CL-B binos as I've seen others on here remark about it as well.

K22_CL_Companion_2017_Gruen_Urban_Jungle_CMYK_small.png

versus

1612368008_1617944.jpg

Just looking at the pictures in Holger's review (I haven't read the review yet), he is comparing the "new" CL-B, not the original CL model. The original has a noticeably different body design. I have CL and CL-B in 8x and IMO the image quality of the new version is somewhat better and FoV is larger as well. I do prefer the handling of the original but not by a large margin. I'm not as sensitive to CA as others apparently so can't comment meaningfully on that.

Mike

Some background . . .

Swarovski introduced the original CL Companion 8x30 B and 10x30 B in 2011, and they were replaced with an all new design in 2017.

From left in the front row, the current and the original versions:
Swarm of Swaro's.jpg

Cropped and adjusted image of a swarm of Swaro's by Chuck in post #12 at: Swarovski NL Pure 8x32 vs CL Companion 8x30

It seems that the 'CL Companion' marking has recently been omitted from the front of the bridge area:
Cosmetics.jpg

Which makes the pattern of the markings consistent with other roof prism models such as the NL's and EL's.

As Jan indicates, the technical spec's remain the same. On the Swarovski site: select the Products option on the top right of the page;
then > Binoculars; then > CL and go to the bottom of the page, and select the Buy option for the 8x30 B;
then go the bottom of that page for the Downloads.

John

p.s. The B designation is often used to indicate a binocular with a long eye relief eyepiece.
It originated from the German word brillenträgerokular meaning 'eyeglass ocular'.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back