• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Howdy (1 Viewer)

Hello, I'm Ed and I'm retired, living in the coastal NC/SC area. I'm enjoying sitting on my porch doing nothing but watching the local wildlife and taking a few pictures.

Was wondering if anyone can explain what this Eastern Bluebird is doing? My best guess is a form of dust bathing. I've been watching these birds for a few years and have never seen this action before. Just courious.

Attachments

• bluebird.JPG
    bluebird.JPG
    341.3 KB · Views: 2
Hi Ed and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. There's nothing birds like better (it seems to me) than having a lovely dust bath. LOL The other thing they do, appears to be to lie where ants are and let them swarm over them. Dunno why they do that really.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Thank you for the welcome. I'm not really much of a birder other that enjoying the ones that visit my yard. Other than the deer, foxes ( red and silver), opossums, racoons, and rabbits I get, So far I've enjoyed seeing:
Blue Grosbeaks, Eastern Bluebirds, Blue Jays, Chickadees, Cardinals, Mockingbirds, Gold Finches, Sparrows, House Finches, Red Bellied Woodpeckers, Red Headed Woodpeckers,Wood Thrushes, Wild Turkeys, Hummingbirds, Hawks, Falcons, and a verity of small finches I haven't identified as of yet. Most seem to be permanent residents but a few are just yearly visitors.

Well you've sure got a wonderful variety of birds there Ed..... quite jealous¬¬

Well you've sure got a wonderful variety of birds there Ed..... quite jealous¬¬
Yes I get to enjoy quite the scenery, but it is costly. I go thru a couple hundred pounds of bird seed every month. Some of the birds ( cowbirds I think) are like locus and can empty a feeder in a day. But, all in all I get a good show every day. I have gotten a few surprises and shot some beliefs down. I always thought male Cardinals were very territorial during nesting season but daily see up to 4 adult male Cardinals feeding together along with females at the same feeder.

I regrettably had to recently dismantle a new nest build in progress. I suspect it was a sparrow trying to build the nest. As much as I hated to destroy the nest, I thought it would be best not to allow a nest to be built in my living room. I frequently have to shoo birds out of the house for their own safety as well as my sanity.
My first action every morning is to prop the front door open so my cat can have free access in and out. Before I get the danger of cat bit, she's 13 years old and the only animals I have seen her react to are, people and dogs (she runs and hides), cats (she chases off), and mice (she eats). I have seen her lying calmly with birds landing within yards of her. Deer, racoons, opossums, rabbits, and even foxes seem to ignore or not care about her presence.

Hi, Ed and welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group. Sounds like you have a great yard for the birds and other critters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back