• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hybrid SnowyXLittle Egret? Barbados this weekend (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Hello all, this is one of the few places in the world where these two egrets coexist. I believe I can exclude pure Snowy on this image due to the size of the bill, absence of yellow-orange lores and the length of some of the ruff on the neck. I think it is a hybrid because the neck feathers are not just two long structures but also contains additional filamentous feathers. So what do you guys think?

Niels
Hybrid egret P1200121.JPG

Bill looks oddly deep as well as long - but, that apart, why not just a snowy egret with an odd-coloured lore? Even think about reef heron. Moult, feather-wear/damage. Aberrant plumage/bare parts. All these things before thinking of (ugh) a hybrid, because all these things are probably more likely than (ugh) a hybrid.

Bill looks oddly deep as well as long - but, that apart, why not just a snowy egret with an odd-coloured lore? Even think about reef heron. Moult, feather-wear/damage. Aberrant plumage/bare parts. All these things before thinking of (ugh) a hybrid, because all these things are probably more likely than (ugh) a hybrid.
Compare the images in this id essay. Among other things they write is that Snowy invariably had yellow to orange to red lores, but with some exceptions in juvenile. I do not think this is that young given the filamentous feathers present.
Niels

Compare the images in this id essay. Among other things they write is that Snowy invariably had yellow to orange to red lores, but with some exceptions in juvenile. I do not think this is that young given the filamentous feathers present.
Niels
What ID essay?

Looks right for a hybrid. Shaggy crest but also 2 filoplumes. I visited the colony at Graeme Hall Swamp not long after Little Egrets started breeding in the ‘90’s, good memories.

Thanks for all the responses so far! There were a good number of Snowy present where I took this image and this one was different.
Niels

Hi Niels:

Your ID Essay says the following, which is not strictly accurate in my experience with Little Egret.

Alternate (breeding) plumage.--Individuals of both species acquire head plumes. The Little Egret develops two long, lanceolate head plumes that are much longer than the shaggy, filamentous head plumes of Snowy Egret. The Snowy Egret also develops recurved filamentous plumes on the back, which are lacking in Little Egret; however, the back feathers of Little Egret may be ruffled by the breeze, thus resembling Snowy Egret. The lores of Snowy Egret become bright orange or reddish when breeding, but are otherwise bright yellow. In Little Egret the lores may become bright red, orange or yellow when breeding, but are otherwise bluish, greenish or greyish and much more variable in color. The feet of both Little Egret and Snowy Egret may also turn bright orange or red when breeding, but are usually brighter yellow in Snowy Egret and duller greenish-yellow in Little Egret.
I attach a photo of breeding plumage Little Egret from near my house in Nara, Japan.

Firstly, the back of this Little Egret clearly has 'filamentous plumes' which your linked essay says it doesn't have. This is not just 'ruffled by the breeze'. Secondly, I don't see how the feet could be any yellower than they are in this bird, rather than 'duller greenish-yellow' as your essay says; and this is the colour throughout the year in my experience.

100411017 Nara Park.JPG

Hi Niels:

Your ID Essay says the following, which is not strictly accurate in my experience with Little Egret.

I attach a photo of breeding plumage Little Egret from near my house in Nara, Japan.

Firstly, the back of this Little Egret clearly has 'filamentous plumes' which your linked essay says it doesn't have. This is not just 'ruffled by the breeze'. Secondly, I don't see how the feet could be any yellower than they are in this bird, rather than 'duller greenish-yellow' as your essay says; and this is the colour throughout the year in my experience.

View attachment 1432435

In defense of the id essay, it was written for use in the Caribbean (where my image is also taken). Birds in your area might differ a little from what is seen here.
Niels

In defense of the id essay, it was written for use in the Caribbean (where my image is also taken). Birds in your area might differ a little from what is seen here.
Niels
Hi Niels:

Looking around (e.g. Birds of the World), I think your ID Essay is simply wrong about the filamentous plumes which are also a feature of Little Egret. The ssp should be the same ssp where you are as in my area, Egretta garzetta garzetta. BoW has photos with these plumes for both species.

Hi Niels:

Looking around (e.g. Birds of the World), I think your ID Essay is simply wrong about the filamentous plumes which are also a feature of Little Egret. The ssp should be the same ssp where you are as in my area, Egretta garzetta garzetta. BoW has photos with these plumes for both species.
Might very well be true. Things have developed since this essay was written. The photos still is a useful resource to my mind.
Niels

The essay seems to originate from the 2000s. The plumes on the back of little egret have been well-documented since at least BWP (1977) and I imagine a deal earlier - so the essay author may just have been looking at non-breeding little egrets and not been too bothered about checking further, which would also explain his reference to the greenish tone of the yellow toes (a non-breeding feature, according to BWP).

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back