• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID bird in Minnesota USA (1 Viewer)

Pearson200

United States
I've been feeding birds for only a few years. This one (image attached) is new to my yard--- it is interested in the suet! Can you help id it? Thank you.
About 40 miles south of Minneapolis, Minnesota USA

Bird.jpg

Hi Pearson and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

You have a Common Starling (or European Starling I think you refer to them as). This is a juvenile and, yes, they love the suet LOL

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Yup, an immature Starling.

Hi there and a warm welcome to you . (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

Thank you!! I noticed the starlings but they are black, so wasn't expecting this brown one to be a starling also. The older ones are having trouble getting to the suet (it's in a caged enclosure)!

When the juveniles get a bit older, do they retain their brown heads but start getting black bodies?

Sort of - it's not uncommon for the head to be the last part to get adult plumage, but the new adult plumage is more speckled than black, as you can see here:
immature starling (molting)

Those big white spots wear away over time. Adult starlings get less spotty over a few months, until they molt again.

If you're seeing a black bird with a brown head, it's probably a brown-headed cowbird. These have much thicker bills than starlings, and longer tails.
Brown-headed Cowbird - BirdForum Opus

Sort of - it's not uncommon for the head to be the last part to get adult plumage, but the new adult plumage is more speckled than black, as you can see here:
immature starling (molting)

Those big white spots wear away over time. Adult starlings get less spotty over a few months, until they molt again.

If you're seeing a black bird with a brown head, it's probably a brown-headed cowbird. These have much thicker bills than starlings, and longer tails.
Brown-headed Cowbird - BirdForum Opus
Thank you! It definitely didn't match the photo of the immature starling (molting) that you have linked above. Closer to the brown-headed cowbird.

Thank you! It definitely didn't match the photo of the immature starling (molting) that you have linked above. Closer to the brown-headed cowbird.
Look at the bill shape if you get a chance, that will be a good clue for separating the two species in question. Another clue is the overall shape with Starlings looking quite dumpy due to their short tail whereas Cowbirds have a bit longer tail that looks more proportional to their overall size :)

Note also that the photo linked by nartreb of the immature Starling is in quite bright light and so the contrast is low. Often when viewed in real life starlings at this stage will appear much more dark overall, contrasting strongly with the brown head. It is worth also keeping in mind that moult is a progression so you can get individuals with less or more black (adult) plumage until the finish their moult (~1-2 months per individual bird)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back