• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID Ducks /Germany (1 Viewer)

McHeath

I'm really bad with ducks, can anyone help?

1 and 2 are different birds, but maybe same species? It's the white triangular wing pattern which is puzzling me, I can't find anything approaching it anywhere.
3: Shoveler?

Habitat: nature reserve Karower Teiche in Brandenburg, NE Germany. 4 biggish ponds/lakes with extensive reed beds in between.

Sorry for the quality, but all the birds were a long way off. The photos haven't been cropped or edited in any way. The time of day was 13:00, the sun was high and coming from behind my right shoulder.

Camera: Lumix FZ300

Attachments

• Duck 1.JPG
    Duck 1.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 67
  • Duck 2.JPG
    Duck 2.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 67
  • Duck 3.JPG
    Duck 3.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 67
Hello,
1 is difficult, harsh light and low resolution together with artefacts (no offense as always), but I see a male Gadwall. But difficult to be sure, at least for me.
2 is a female Gadwall by shape, orange bill (right colour) and grey face/cheeks with the right eye-stripe resulting in a Gadwall-jizz face. With a little bit of whishful thinking, the white patch in the wing is there.
3 is a Shoveler, like you said, right bill shape is just visible. Its an eclipse male by blackish bill and yellow eye

Thank you Alexander! I was wondering about Gadwall, but was put off by the wings, which I suppose were a trick of the light. I'll book them as Gadwall then, they're often seen at that location. Thanks again for your help!

Andrew

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back