• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID from bird dropping challenge (1 Viewer)

xaviertaylor

Dear all - I look to your unparalelled expertise to see if its possible to ID a bird by its droppings (not sure if these qualify as 'pellets').
I live in the countryside in Essex, UK and have a regular visitor to an upstairs outside balcony. Its leaving quite a mess too!!!

I do hear Tawny owls, have seen Little Owls ... and also get many a Kestrel and a few Sparrowhawks in the area. Do you think it could be one of these?

Please see attached photos. In one of the droppings there was a piece of bone that looked like it belonged to a small mammal... about 1cm long.

Thanks for any help that can be offered.

Attachments

• IMG_2914.jpg
    IMG_2914.jpg
    428.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2915.jpg
    IMG_2915.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2916.jpg
    IMG_2916.jpg
    389.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2917.jpg
    IMG_2917.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 19
Not a pigeon if it's got bits of bone in!

Owls regurgitate the bones in their diet as pellets, so not an owl; I'd suspect that leaves Sparrowhawk as the most likely option, but I'd not be certain on that. What about mammals, is Weasel possible - they are good climbers.

Last edited:
I appreciate your replies everyone. I think though we can take mammals out of the equation... although I'm in the countryside, our balcony is 2nd floor of a small block of flats.
One area where I found droppings would ONLY be accessible by a bird.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back