• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID help, terns and sand plovers, Phuket, Thailand, Nov 8 (1 Viewer)

bhutjoe

Hi, attached are rather poor photos, apologies, of what I initially thought were two greater sand plovers on the left and two little terns with a lesser sand plover between them. My identification of the lesser and greater was based on their relative size (and no white collar) while that of the terns was on their diminutive size and the black "shoulder" mark, as well as head pattern. However, in reading Robson's "Bird of SE Asia" it would seem that little terns are about the same size as greater sand plovers. Have I misunderstand how to apply the size measurement of birds?:) Confirmation or correction on my identification would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance
steve

Attachments

• DSCN3588.JPG
    DSCN3588.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 60
  • DSCN3589.JPG
    DSCN3589.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 62
The sand plovers look like (Tibetan) Lesser, based on head/bill shape, head pattern and breast pattern. I agree that the terns look like Little.

Size from field guides can sometimes be a little misleading as it usually gives the total length of a bird, but the apparent size can depend on structure. So a long-tailed, slim bird like a tern may not look as bulky as a more 'dumpy' bird with the same length measurement. In this case, HBW gives the following measurements: GSP 20-25cm, 55-121g; LSP18-21cm, 39-110g; Little Tern 22-28cm, 47-63g. So Little Tern has the longest length measurements of the three species, but the average weight is towards the low end of the range for either of the sand plovers.

Thank you, John , for clarifying what the measurements are measuring for me:) Much appreciated. I was thinking of height:), obviously wrongly.

May I ask, do you think the taller plovers to the left are Greater Sand Plovers or is this just an optical illusion.
thanks again. very much appreciated
steve

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back