• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID Help - Tommy Thompson Park, Toronto, ON, Canada (2 Viewers)

bicchawla

Canada
Spotted these yesterday, early afternoon at Tommy Thompson Park in Toronto. The first three are the same bird which I believe is either Caspian or Common Tern? I'm leaning towards Caspian because of the shallow forked tail, solid-looking bill and overall size, but hoping for confirmation or correction.

The last one is totally stumping me, so any help would be greatly appreciated as always (btw, it's hunched over on the lower tree branch behind some foliage in case you don't see it at first). And apologies for the picture quality.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_8347.jpg
    IMG_8347.jpg
    499 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_8348.jpg
    IMG_8348.jpg
    493.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_8351.jpg
    IMG_8351.jpg
    424.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_8350.jpg
    IMG_8350.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 46
1-3. Caspian tern. Note, especially, dark underside to primaries (and big bill, short tail, etc.).
4. Seems to be a warbler with a wing-bar and an eye-ring. Not surprised you can't get it to species, and I'm not surprised that I can't either.

The small bill and white eye-arcs is making me think Ruby-crowned Kinglet, but a shot from another angle would be helpful.

Stu

Looks the wrong shape (too elongated) for a kinglet, the bill is part-hidden behind foliage, and the eye-arcs are placed top and bottom (they're fore and aft, and a different shape, on ruby-crowned kinglet).

I first thought Magnolia, but on a closer look I can't see how (Myrtle) Yellow-rumped could be ruled out. Best left as warbler sp, I guess.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back