• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Individual Focus Meopta B1’s? (1 Viewer)

John A Roberts

Australia
I recently came across a Meopta catalogue from 2012 'Armed Forces Optics', see at: http://www.dvere-nemcova.cz/files/tinymce/files/meopta-military-katalog.pdf

The 28 pages are mainly about optics and optronics for small arms and armoured vehicles, along with handheld and helmet mounted optronics.
However, there is also a page on binoculars (see below), and two pages on S series spotting scopes.

The binoculars are designated BD. They appear to be the full range of standard B series centre focus binoculars from then,
along with internal laser filter and reticle options, and also external filters.

Looking through the catalogues that I’ve previously downloaded, a 2014 one 'Meopta Tactical Optics' includes more information, see at: https://www.meopta.com/Core/admin_s...cs-2014-en.pdf&Dir=/root/download/catalogues/

It’s 38 pages cover the same range of devices as the 2012 one, excluding those for armoured vehicles. And there are 4 pages about the BD binoculars.

As can be seen, as is long the standard for military and other hard use binoculars, the BD series has IF eyepieces.
What appears to a central focus knob would be a cover cap, compare it to the CF knob on a B series 7x50.

While the BD's have been/ are offered by Meopta, it’s unknown if any have been sold (perhaps to Czech government agencies?).
So if you do come across an unusual looking B1 it may be a BD rarity.

John

Attachments

• Meopta BD 2012 cat.jpg
    Meopta BD 2012 cat.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Meopta BD 2014 pp. 24 & 25.jpg
    Meopta BD 2014 pp. 24 & 25.jpg
    359.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Meopta BD 2014 pp. 26 & 27.jpg
    Meopta BD 2014 pp. 26 & 27.jpg
    357.5 KB · Views: 27
  • BD 7x42 detail.jpg
    BD 7x42 detail.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 28
  • B1 7x50 (2011 cat).jpg
    B1 7x50 (2011 cat).jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
As can be seen, as is long the standard for military and other hard use binoculars, the BD series has IF eyepieces.
What appears to a central focus knob would be a cover cap, compare it to the CF knob on a B series 7x50.
Interesting material, John. Thanks for that.
The cover cap is knurled and completely different to that on the standard 7x42 B1, so I think it is still a central focusser but without the independent dioptre adjustment for the right barrel. There would be little point in blocking the internal focussing lenses, and eliminating them would necessitate a complete redesign of the objectives.
The helical adjustment on the left eyepiece is probably there to focus on the reticle and that on the right eyepiece for dioptre compensation.

John

Hi John,

I did consider that possibility, but on balance I decided to go with what I thought would be the simpler and therefore more likely choice for rugged use,
considering:

a) If the reticle is located at the focal plane, there’s no need for a seperate focus control for it.
And from the (limited) available information that would seem to be possible *

b) The focus mechanism could be largely removed with a simple cage put in place to hold the focus lens in a fixed position.
The position would be the optimal (compromise) one, for use in conjunction with eyepiece focusing.

c) The less substantial tapered shape of the cap, compared to the regular B1 focuser.
For rough conditions, under stress, while wearing gloves (as is now the common military combat practice),
a more prominent cap would have seemed likely if it was a functional focuser.

* Meopta has only produced two cutaway views for the B1, one for the 10x42HD and one for the 7x50.
See the images in post #51 at: New MeoStar B1 Plus Binoculars
The first is the 7x50 (I’ve since found an image that clearly shows the marking on the focuser cap, see post #114 in the thread).
The second is the 10x42HD.
With both there would be sufficient space to place a reticle at the focal plane - depending on where it falls.

- - - -
Having said all that you may very well be right, and I certainly wouldn’t be surprised. We just lack sufficient info.

- - - -
The above reminded me of Steiner’s strange dual focus Wildlife Pro 8x30 from around a decade ago.
It used:
- the usual ‘Sports Auto-Focus’ (sic) function for longer distances i.e. one focuses each eyepiece on an object at around 50 yd/ m;
and then everything is in focus (to some degree) from 20 yd/ m to infinity, depending on one's accomodation and tolerance, and;
- the central focus knob for closer distance.

It was clearly not a success, since besides Arek’s review there’s not a lot else about it available.
See: Steiner Wildlife Pro 8x30 CF - binoculars review - AllBinos.com

John

Attachments

• Steiner Wildlife Pro 8x30.jpg
    Steiner Wildlife Pro 8x30.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 0
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back