• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Inoculations for Kruger National Park (1 Viewer)

Foxy

My wife and I will be visiting Kruger for a fortnight in mid-November and have read very conflicting information on various medical websites about the inoculations required/advised, two in particular: Malaria and Rabies. My own GP's surgery believes both are not really necessary. Has anyone any knowledge or information that confirms whether or not we should have these before we travel? I appreciate that 'belt and braces' would say that getting them done is the safest bet but I could end up leaking like a sieve with all the possible jabs I could consider!
Many thanks in anticipation

Seriously, a bite from any animal in a country where rabies is known to exist, is not a good idea and in the case of rabies, the preventative jabs are a lot less unpleasant than those you'd need after a bite though if a Lion were involved, you probably wouldn't need to worry.

Thanks, any thoughts on rabies?

Minimal too.

Obviously to get rabies, you need to get bitten. I think the biggest chance of this anywhere in the world is from feral dogs ... none of these in Kruger, and they are not much of a problem across South Africa in general.

I suppose there is a chance of a jackal biting you - they are in many of the camps - but I have never heard of anyone having a problem with them in Kruger.

As Andy suggested, outside the camps, if you get bitten in Kruger, you've got bigger issues to worry about than rabies 🙂

Thank you so much for the practical replies (and the humour!). Certainly helped to get my thoughts in order

Thank you so much for the practical replies (and the humour!). Certainly helped to get my thoughts in order
A pleasure

I've spent a combined total of near three years in southern Africa, had malaria once (picked up in Mozambique), never come into contact with rabies or any animals showing signs of it. Nor been bitten by anything non-insect.

Enjoy Kruger, a magical place 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back