• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Interview with OMDS COO Aki Murata (1 Viewer)

Chosun Juan

Given to Fly
Australia - Aboriginal
Encouraging news on future computational photography directions - it just remains to be seen whether 'Olympus' can finance the required technological development cycles on an ongoing basis competitive with the big dawgs of the semiconductor industry .....

Chosun ✊

Maybe the collaboration could go both ways? Having IBIS go into the phone and some AI knowledge in the opposite direction?

Niels

Maybe the collaboration could go both ways? Having IBIS go into the phone and some AI knowledge in the opposite direction?

Niels
That's the thought I had too Niels - maybe even beyond that it might eventually stretch to chip design and manufacture for Olympus, or some sort of financial ownership stake, or even dipping a toe back in the digital camera waters (as a partnership) ....

Considering that prior to the global C-19 pause, Olympus were quite adamant that they wouldn't be delving into computational photography, the change of heart in these two articles is most welcome πŸ‘πŸ˜Š

Chosun πŸ™…

Nothing specific but our photo club recently had a talk from an Olympus rep who mentioned that there was much technology used in phone cameras that could be brought across such as AI. Makes sense I suppose, I can do all sorts of clever things easily on my iphone that can be difficult to or even impossible with my camera and various desktop software.

.... "in a first not just for smartphones but for all cameras, the Xperia 1 Mark III can shoot at 20 fps while performing temporal noise reduction on each one of those frames."

This type of innovation would be fantastic in addition to pixel-shift, AI, HDR, etc.

Temporal ! Who would have thunk that a working understanding of Dr Who would have been a prerequisite for taking photos ! 😲😁

Chosun πŸ™…

.... "in a first not just for smartphones but for all cameras, the Xperia 1 Mark III can shoot at 20 fps while performing temporal noise reduction on each one of those frames."

This type of innovation would be fantastic in addition to pixel-shift, AI, HDR, etc.

Temporal ! Who would have thunk that a working understanding of Dr Who would have been a prerequisite for taking photos ! 😲😁

Chosun πŸ™…
And for those of us who don't have that understanding
In an exclusive interview with DPReview, engineers from Sony's Xperia team confirmed that, in low light conditions, up to 4 frames are aligned and averaged to decrease noise for each frame shot at 20 fps,

It is an indication that the more dispassionate financial owner can take steps that would be anathema to corporate Japan.
Samsung has the know how to make superb image sensors, an area where not only Olympus was lagging badly.
It would be entirely logical for the Japanese camera makers to deal with Samsung rather than rely on a competitor such as Sony (or failing that on some other much less capable sources), but there is a clear reluctance to be teamed with a Korean firm. Now that Olympus has broken that taboo, perhaps others will follow.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back