• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Iran / Warblers (1 Viewer)

Jose605

Congo-Brazzaville
Photographed in April in Shiraz.

May be the same bird.

Thanks for your input!

Jose

Attachments

• IMG_0575.JPG
    IMG_0575.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0615.JPG
    IMG_0615.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 87
that's the question I have answered like: Syke's is a smaller built, greyer bird with a super usually sticking out a bit behind eye, bill being less triangular; can't see exactly the difference in emarginations (p6 with or not); p projection should differ drastically and I've talked myself into it having a medium, not short pp.

In response, I am unsure you gain an accurate view of the primary projection in these photos. The outer rectrix is well short of tail tip, which though variable is more likely in Sykes's and the pattern of a broad and diffuse pale tip and inner edge is typical of Sykes's. The extension of P1 beyond the primary coverts is long - too long for EOW (P1/PC - EOW = 3-6mm; Sykes's = 3.5-10mm).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back