• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is 90s mm class spotting scope too big for general uses? (1 Viewer)

Passakorn

I am looking for a new scope to compliment the 50mm nikon that I have.
I am wondering if someone could share direct experience with the 90mm classes scopes (Swarovski 95mm, Kowa 99 mm etc) intern of portability/practicality in the field? Most of my activity will be wandering around (1-2 km walk at most) with a scope and tripod but probably not for a long hike. My concern is the size of the large scope. How bad is it to transport around compared to 80mm class scope? I can accept about 2kg weigh of the scope. I am not sure if it is worth all the hassle getting 90mm class instead of typical 80mm class scope.

For a one size fit all, does the 60mm class good enough to compromise with the 80-90mm class scope?

Thank you so much,

Passakorn

(1-2 km walk at most)

Buy the 95/ 99, and thus enjoy the stellar views in all weather and conditions. 2km is absolutely nothing to carry a scope this size, and no, a 60mm will not even get close to what you will get with the larger objective lens. I carry my 85mm or borrowed 99mm in a Mule Pack, and it is zero problems. If however I am doing 20, 25k and in really bad terrain? The 50mm is where I stay.

Not too big, in my humble opinion.
The Swarovski ATX95 is a wonderful ‘scope.

I regularly see a guy on my local reserve carrying his Swarovski ATX115 over his shoulder. He must cover over 3km during his wander around the tracks and trails.
I regularly carry my Swarovski ATS80 for 7 or 8 miles when birding on the Isles of Scilly in October and with a Mule Pack it isn’t difficult.

I used to have a Zeiss Diascope 85 which when attached to a Scopac barely seemed to weigh anything. I then went to a BTX 115mm (which I appreciate is probably the biggest and most ridiculous birding scope which exists) and although the view is phenomenal the weight is a drag. It is worth remembering that the bigger the scope the sturdier the tripod and head (and indeed the 115 really needs a gimbal). I only went for the 115 because I needed the light for the binoviewer. If you are using a single eyepiece I don’t think you lose anything at all by staying with an 80mm.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back