• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is it feasible to offer to be a release site for rehabilitated Carolina wrens on a small property? (1 Viewer)

Avon Avians

United States
Hello, folks!

I've been planning on preparing suitable habitat for small wildlife in our backyard for quite some time at this point.
In particular, I've been trying to attract Carolina wrens.
These small birds are common in much of New England.

As a species, they seem to have adapted to civilization and the creation of suburban habitats in moist vegetated habitats and woodlands near water.
In New England, they are expanding their range northward with tough determination.
Once restricted to the southernmost tip of NH, the songbirds are now appearing as far north as Lancaster and Groveton in the northern White Mountains.
Apparently, humans are actually responsible for the success of this species. Bird feeders offering suet, roost boxes, and many artificial nesting locations make it easier for the birds to survive in cold climates where they were once absent.
However, despite our backyard offering suitable habitat for the wrens, they are still uncommon this far north, and aren't appearing in our yard.

I'm aware that some rehabilitation centers need private properties to release their rehabilitated wildlife.
I've recently been looking into the possibility of becoming a release site for small wildlife.
In particular, since our yard offers suitable habitat for them, Carolina wrens, if any are in fact prepared for release.

However, although our property offers an abundance of food, water, cover, and sheltering sites, it is only about 2,000 square feet in size.
It is also in a somewhat suburban location, surrounded by houses all around, except for our backyard which is in front of an open field.

But as I've mentioned, Carolina wrens and some small birds are adapted to thrive in suburban and sometimes even urban settings.
All they seem to require is food, water, cover, and nesting availability.
Carolina wrens in particular actually seem to depend on artificial feeders and roosting boxes for survival in these cold northern climates, where they were historically absent.

Would it be feasible to offer our backyard, although it is small, as a release site for Carolina wrens and similar small birds?
Since a variety of birds (sparrows, juncos, chickadees, and titmice for example) already inhabit our property, I would think it would be suitable for their survival, since they have similar requirements compared to other common songbirds.

Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks! God bless!

Last edited:
Hi AA

Why not find a local rehab centre and ask them to visit, they have to do that anyway before deciding which species your property would be most suited to and maybe advise you of any other changes you could make, or maybe might need to make.

But well done on the changes you have already made, you must be attracting quite a lot of species already.

Hi AA

Why not find a local rehab centre and ask them to visit, they have to do that anyway before deciding which species your property would be most suited to and maybe advise you of any other changes you could make, or maybe might need to make.

But well done on the changes you have already made, you must be attracting quite a lot of species already.
Thanks! We planted a crabapple tree, a dogwood shrub, a chokeberry shrub, and evergreens. We also built brush piles in the wooded area.

Bird feeders, birdbaths, and bird houses offer almost all the food, water, and cover that a breeding pair of Carolina wrens would need to thrive in our neighborhood.

But I'd be a bit concerned that a neighborhood cat might catch or kill one.

Thanks! We planted a crabapple tree, a dogwood shrub, a chokeberry shrub, and evergreens. We also built brush piles in the wooded area.

Bird feeders, birdbaths, and bird houses offer almost all the food, water, and cover that a breeding pair of Carolina wrens would need to thrive in our neighborhood.

But I'd be a bit concerned that a neighborhood cat might catch or kill one.
Always a concern of course, do you know if there's a problem in your area?

Always a concern of course, do you know if there's a problem in your area?
Well, we do have some free-roaming cats in our town.
None of them are my cats, though, and whether they are feral or owned is a mystery to me, except for the one that wears a collar.
I sure hope they aren't bothering our backyard birds, but although I haven't seen them kill any birds in our backyard, I'm sure they have.:unsure::cautious:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back