• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I've got some new pocket bins NOT Curios. (1 Viewer)

truculenter aspicientis

Well, yesterday I spoke in my post that I was after some pocket binoculars, these are my first Swarovski pockets, I have had Leica before though.
I know these probably aren't the best of pocket binoculars but to me there are just right.
The view is clean, sharp, detailed and nice contrast.
Sharp to the edge and easy on the eye.
I don't find any issues getting out of pocket, opening and straight to the eye and getting good views, they must suit me.
Anyway if anyone has experience with these I'd love to hear your thoughts and how they compare with newer binoculars.

Here are a few photos.
Thanks Gary.

Attachments

• PXL_20230302_114658233.jpg
    PXL_20230302_114658233.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 59
  • PXL_20230302_114634905.jpg
    PXL_20230302_114634905.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 63
  • PXL_20230302_114812224.jpg
    PXL_20230302_114812224.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 64
  • PXL_20230302_114841725.jpg
    PXL_20230302_114841725.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 60
  • PXL_20230302_115122360.jpg
    PXL_20230302_115122360.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 51
  • PXL_20230302_115322616.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230302_115322616.MP.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 55
Well, yesterday I spoke in my post that I was after some pocket binoculars, these are my first Swarovski pockets, I have had Leica before though.
I know these probably aren't the best of pocket binoculars but to me there are just right.
I don't find any issues getting out of pocket, opening and straight to the eye and getting good views, they must suit me.
Anyway if anyone has experience with these I'd love to hear your thoughts and how they compare with newer binoculars.

Here are a few photos.
Thanks Gary.

Gary,

I directly a/b/c compared the SW 8x20B, Leica Trinovid and UV 8x20 as that seemed the most reasonable comparison. The very slight superiority of both Leicas in overall optical quality is a bit more pronounced when using glasses. But that is in part because the SW loses a bit more FoV. I actually prefer the diopter solution of the SW. Good to hear you get along well with the ER and position of the focus knob. Sorry the pic below isn't up to par.

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_1187.jpg
    IMG_1187.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 38
Thanks for the info, can you tell me how the Leica were superior optically pls? Maybe I should of gone thr Leica route.😭

To my eyes without glasses; almost identical FoV, but image color a tiny bit more saturated and clear/contrasty, and image seems to have a bit of 3D with the Leicas. But again the only meaningful difference is ER. All other advantages of the more modern Leicas are inconsequential as a practical matter IMO. Don't look back. Enjoy those Habichts.

Mike

Here are a few photos.
Thanks Gary.
I had a pair of

Here are a few photos.
Thanks Gary.
I had a pair of the 8x20 Swaros exactly like yours, I used them during my years of police work, mostly narcotics investigation, I found them to be superb even at night. One might think they wouldn't work well but they were awesome. I also used them for birding and occasional astro. Great bins, never had a problem with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back