• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ixos fisquetii Eydoux et Souleyet, 1841 (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Ixos fisquetii Eydoux et Souleyet, 1841 OD here and plate
Nous le dédions à notre compagnon de voyage, M. Fisquet, enseigne de vaisseau, qui nous a souvent prêté l'assistance de son talent, comme dessinateur, pendant le cours de notre voyage.
Publication history see
See Zimmer 1926.
Birds are pp. 69-132 of Part 1 of the first zoology volume.
There has apparently been some uncertainty about the date of publication of Blainville's article on Chionis on pp. 107-132, which Sherborn thought to have been published later than the rest, while Zimmer did not support this view.
Part 1 was noticed in Bibliographie de la France on 18 Dec 1841 (here), and reported there to be an in-8° of 11.25 sheets. The main text is 132 pp, or 8.25 sheets; it is preceded by half-title and title pages (0.25 sheet), and 39 pp of text paged in Roman numerals, plus a blank page (2.5 sheets). This makes up a total of 11 sheets, which does not exceed the 11.25 sheets reported in Bibliogr. France, so I see not good reasons to think that the publication of a portion of the work was delayed.
I would date the entire bird text to 18 Dec 1841.

The atlas has only French names in it, hence is not relevant for the dating of scientific names.

Not mentioned in The Eponym Dictionary of Birds.

The Key to Scientific Names
Ensign Théodore Auguste Fisquet (1813-1890) French Navy, artist on the La Bonite Expedition 1836-1837 (syn. Pycnonotus priocephalus).
He is often called an Admiral later. I am not sure if he reached that rank.

According Léonore b. 21 April 1813 Var, Toulon

According here death 11 January 1890 in TOULON (Var)

Birth record (Cote 7E146/58) here p. 144/426
Death record (Cote 7E146_401) here p. 74/562

So everything in line. I just opened it as I wrongly interpreted Ensign as an additional name (due to insufficient English skills) and not as a military rank.

Feel free to add any additional on his life.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back