• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

July Butterflies (1 Viewer)

KenM

The following species all having occurred and increased within the last five years on my patch North East London (10 miles from St.Pauls), to include White Admiral, Marbled White, Silver-washed Fritillary and Purple Emperor.

The last species being a resident albeit generally in small numbers has certainly increased this year, with two sightings from the garden within the last few days. The other three species to my knowledge are recent colonists and not just to the Epping Forest area?

With global warming there will be winners and losers, and the last four species certainly seem to be gaining ground hereabouts for the time being.

A case of ringing in the new and alas...goodbye Willow Warbler, been in decline for some time with no territories held on Chingford Plain for the first time in living memory (60+years) now following in the footsteps of many others😢

Attachments

• 55434A2E-CC27-44B2-B57E-7742E92303E4.jpeg
    55434A2E-CC27-44B2-B57E-7742E92303E4.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Marbled Whites in my area of outer west London are now very common in local meadows where until a few years back didn't occur. Ringlets have also turned up in smaller numbers.

I went to Bookham Common on Friday & failed to see a Purple Emperor in a usually reliable spot, though one or two have been around. Many people dipping here. I haven't been to look for them at more local Ruislip Woods, though local naturalists haven't seen any there yet. I'm aware of London records this year on Wimbledon Common & Hampstead Heath' possibly more.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back